Question Can't seem to run ANY browsers other than Firefox on Linux Mint 21 (Cinnamon)

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I have an HP T620 Thin Client PC - the type you see in a lot of Doctor's offices. Completely silent, with a 64-bit quad core AMD processor. I upgraded the sodimm memory in it from 4GB to 16GB recently. Also upgraded the 16GB sata ssd inside it to 128GB, for a possible eventual Windows install for dual booting.

I installed Linux Mint 21 (Cinnamon), Ubuntu based on it, using a 480GB USB PNY SSD that I bought on clearance a year or more ago. While it isn't the quickest thing, it seems to run well.

One of the reasons why I want this thing is because my workplace started requiring "2 factor" security when checking email. Previously, we had 3 Windows PC's with large monitors and full size keyboards. Instead, they gave us 3 tiny chromebooks. I HATE the keyboards and tiny screens, which are much lower than the old monitors were. So, I upgraded a Chromebox and used that on my desktop.

It worked ok, but I decided I'd like something a bit faster, and I'd like to try Linux. I was told that Linux Mint was probably closest to the Windows I was used to using.

The really strange thing is that Firefox works just fine, but none of the other browsers I've installed will launch. They all seem to install ok, but when I try to launch any of them, the circle just spins, and then nothing at all happens. I've tried uninstalling, then reinstalling, but nothing changes. This is the case with Chrome, Brave Browser, and Microsoft Edge - when I double click, I get a spinny thing that seems to be showing that something is happening for maybe 7 seconds, then nothing. I need to be able to launch Google Voice in a different browser while Logging in to work email on the first browser. Google voice will let me check the text for a Google Code, which will let me log in to my work email in the first browser. If I can't get another browser to work, then it won't work for the primary thing I put this together for.

Anyone have any thoughts on why the browser that Linux came with (firefox) would launch and run just fine, but no other browsers on the same machine will? I've tried launching half a dozen other programs that I've installed the same way, (games, word processors, handbrake), and they all seem to launch just fine.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
how are you installing them? through their buggy software suite or terminal?

Since I only have experience with Windows previously, I was using the included GUI install program to install about a dozen programs. Of the ~ a dozen programs installed, all of them ran except for the 3 web browsers. All 3 of those gave me a spinny circle, and then nothing. I uninstalled, then reinstalled. Same issue. Firefox, which was included with the distribution, runs fine.

Thinking that the automatic install might have caused some issues, I looked up how to do a text install, then followed the directions for Chrome. After installing, I get the same, exact issue - little spinny thing on the screen indicating that something is happening, then nothing, when I try to launch Chrome.

Not sure why the only issues are with the 3 web browsers I've tried - all other programs I installed worked fine. I tried installing Brave Browser, Chrome, and Microsoft Edge. All of them seemed to install, but none of them would actually run. I'm not sure what to try next.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Hah - I suddenly though about the fact that I had been putting the system to sleep instead of fully powering down. I powered all the way off, then booted up again - now all of the browsers work fine! I certainly didn't expect that to be the problem.....

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Sleep vs reboot doesn't make sense. I run Linux on my server and anything I install works w/o a reboot just fine w/ some limited exceptions. Maybe Mint is different somehow or the GUI install is the issue. I install everything from terminal since it's a headless system that I only connect video to when there's a major issue where it might help figure something out.

Picking a browser though is a PITA these days since if you run dual boot or want to retrieve settings across platforms or just to keep them backed up they each have their own nuances. I switched to FF on windows recently and that didn't last 24 hours due to some glitchy behavior under Windows. Chrome got reinstalled and back to normal. I wanted to see if I could debloat things a bit from a resource perspective and FF was actually worse than chrome.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
There are a couple things that might cause the problem, with the specific one probably noted in the system logs (most likely /var/log/messages)...