Question Can't see my SMB shares

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I'm going a little bit nuts with this.
EVERY device that can access my home network shares does so perfectly smoothly. But for a reason I can't figure out, my new laptop refuses to see them.
I have my WiFi setup using the first pod of my tplink mesh system as my router. My internet comes in coax to my ISP's modem, from there a line goes straight to the router and all WiFi is handled by that device. The laptop is new, mind you and running Windows 11 so there may be some wonky MS setting that I have yet to fix on it.
What can I check? I'm going crazy trying different things.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Just SMB v1. There are some additional "features" to turn on in Windows. It could also be the windows firewall being set to public for the connection instead of private.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Well, I created a Win11 VM, was able to ping devices on the network.

Win11 VM also couldn't see ANY devices except itself when I clicked the Network icon, however.

Had to type \\device_name\ in Explorer to see shared resources and the PC with shared folders will also appear in the Network.

Windows naming resolution problem persisted forever no matter which version of Windows you are running.

(SMB v1 not turned on and I don't want to)

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
This SMBv1 debacle is what is owning my PCs on my LAN. I have a persistant RAT, that in my estimation, spreads to Windows 10 PCs with SMBv1 present, by sniffing the LANMAN hash passwords, sending them over the internet to a server to be cracked remotely, and then forcing access to the LANMAN hidden C$ share, dropping some RAT trojan command-line loader into a specific directory where it will be executed next reboot.

The symptoms are three command-prompt windows briefly flashing on the screen after a reboot.

The problem, and why it's so persistant, is that the system image dropped by a fresh MS USB Tool. appears to have SMBv1 included/deployed, if there are SMBv1 devices (like my EMC NAS units) on the LAN, which leaves even "fresh installs" vulnerable.

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
For Network related setting the old Win 7 Control Panel is more helpful.

You can find it here - https://www.minitool.com/news/how-to-open-control-panel-in-windows-11.html

On the Laptop.

In the Old control Panel Click on Network and Sharing.

Check the basic info in the center. Then look at the top left and check the setting Under Change Adapter Setting, and Check Advance Sharing Setting.

:cool:
Didnt think you could run something like this. I'll definitely try it.
Never mind, I DID know about this, I thought there was an actual installable version of the Win7 control panel. I already knew you could access the basic one, thank you!

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Make Function Discovery Provider Host (and Function Discovery Resource Publication) service starts automatically (Automatic (Delayed) ) on Win10/11 PCs, see if it helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: tinpanalley