Question Can't quite seem to get old PCI slot working..

Kledgie

Jun 21, 2016
Hey guys. I'm trying to use an old video card. The card definitely works. I pulled it from a working PC.

For whatever reason, I can't get the PCI slot on my asus pro h410m-c/csm to work. Not sure what to do. I tried looking for an option somewhere in the BIOS but couldn't fidn anything. I'm not too experienced with that tho. Any suggestions before I try to contact Asus?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Need to know what you pulled from and the card model.

There's a good chance a new card won't work in an older system.

Otherwise put your mobo and card into PCPartPicker.com and check compatibility.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I agree...more info on parts is necessary to help with troubleshooting. What video card? What was the system spec it was pulled from?

Jul 27, 2020
I tried looking for an option somewhere in the BIOS but couldn't fidn anything.
Should be a VGA init option in BIOS. Choose PCI slot there. If PCI slot is not mentioned, you may be able to use the PCI video card as a 2nd card once in Windows but not as a primary video card.

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017
Hey guys. I'm trying to use an old video card. The card definitely works. I pulled it from a working PC.

For whatever reason, I can't get the PCI slot on my asus pro h410m-c/csm to work. Not sure what to do. I tried looking for an option somewhere in the BIOS but couldn't fidn anything. I'm not too experienced with that tho. Any suggestions before I try to contact Asus?
There are adapters that can be used to get pci in PCIE slots, you could try that as a last resort if you can’t get the actual pci slot to work. I was about to buy one but then decided to finally retire my old Xfi soundcard

Reactions: Kledgie

solidsnake1298

Aug 7, 2009
If by "PCI slot" you actually mean PCIe, make sure that the slot is not manually set to a higher PCIe speed than the card supports. As in the slot is manually set to force PCIe 3.0, but the card supports up to 2.0.

If this is an actual old school, plain old PCI graphics card then I question whether the H410 chipset would support that. Make sure you moved your display connection from the motherboard to the card. If you did that, then it is almost certain that it isn't compatible. I can't find anything in the board's manual that specifically states that a PCI graphics card isn't supported but.....

Also, is it possible that the PCI slot isn't providing enough power? I'm assuming a PCI graphics card is slot powered. I can't imagine a PCI graphics card would consume that much more power than, for example, a PCI firewire expansion card or PCI network adapter.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Need to know what you pulled from and the card model.

There's a good chance a new card won't work in an older system.

Otherwise put your mobo and card into PCPartPicker.com and check compatibility.

Wait - they don't make sure that the cards are backward compatible? I would think that for most folks, a newer card and older motherboard would be the likely pairing.