Can't pipe sound to TV with ATI card like I could with Nvidia. Help?

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
So I recently switched from a GeForce 570 to an AMD ATI whatever the hell 7950

The nice thing is after a lot of effort I finally got all 3 displays working with it that I wanted.

My primary monitor (27" at 1920x1200) secondary monitor (23" at 1920x1080) and 40" TV on the other side of the room at 1920x1080.

This card has 1 DVI output, 1 HDMI output, and 2 mini-displayport outputs.

I had originally ordered a passive HDMI to mini-displayport adapter, then figured out I needed an active one. That just arrived.

So as of tonight for the first time, all 3 displays are active at once and working correctly.

Problem is, I can't get sound to come from the TV anymore.

With the Nvidia 570, I never had 3 displays but it was trivial to tell my system to switch from sound coming out of PC speakers, to sound coming out of the Samsung TV (actually it comes from a Yamaha soundbar or set of wireless Sony headphones connected to the TV)

Now, in the Windows sound thing (which coincidentally now takes like 5 minutes to open... strange that) it shows the Samsung as "not plugged in" and so I can't even try telling it to use that.

Anyone have any suggestions of how I can get this to work? I'd be okay with either being able to swap sound sources as I did with the 570, or setting it up so it always uses both PC speakers (or headphones) AND the TV audio. (When I don't want audio from the TV I can just turn off the sound bar or have the TV on a different input mode)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I realize this is an audio issue sort of, but it seems directly tied to this video card. I recently got some very good advice here re: this card. Thanks again to all who helped me out.

The Samsung is connected through straight HDMI, no adapters. So it should be sound-friendly...

I've considered switching to a 670 or 680, anyone with any particular type of card gotten the thing I'm talking about to work? I think I even had issues with this when I briefly tried it with just one monitor and the TV in the equation.

Seems like maybe Nvidia's sound management is superior.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
I have a gaming friend who noted the same problem with a pair of 7970s at the beginning of the year. He switched to 2x 680s because of it which fixed the problem. Surprising after nearly a year they still haven't fixed that bug.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I think I read one of the driver releases fixes this issue... I just don't recall which beta version it was.