Cant open add/remove programs!! what the heck is a parser message???

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Pic

I get this error message every time I try and open add-remove programs in Windows XP Pro. The only thing that was done different durring install was that I used the administrator account as the main account for the computer. A radeon 7200 default driver was crashing the computer constantly and durring the user account setup it crashed, leaving me with only the admin account open for use. Anyone know what's up????

BmXStuD

Golden Member
Jan 17, 2003
1. Unstall the skin program use reg xp skin

2.Go back to a RESTORE POINT when you fist installed XP.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Originally posted by: BmXStuD
1. Unstall the skin program use reg xp skin

2.Go back to a RESTORE POINT when you fist installed XP.

Nuts....., I used the .dll file for themes, is system restore really my only option?

Barnaby W. Füi

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2001
Actually, that's one of the best error messages I've seen from windows. Since it specifies a line, it's probably parsing a semi-plain-text file, and you may be able to go in and fix it. Then again, god knows what file that would be. I'm sure there is some windows utility that will display what files are opened and by what processes.

Then again, that's alot of manual investigation, and windows really doesn't play nice to that sort of behavior, they just want you to reinstall when something unexpected happens. Either way, good luck.

BmXStuD

Golden Member
Jan 17, 2003
Just try to remove it. Did the problem come after or before you installed the skin?

dawks

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Its just the theme. Switch back to Luna, and you'll be fine. If it really bothers you, contact the creator and have him fix it.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Woah, it was the theme! Simple switch to the gay looking orginal windows theme took care of it with flying , windows..............

Thanks for the help folks, another valuble computer lesson learned by the cool peeps on anantech.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: BD231
Woah, it was the theme! Simple switch to the gay looking orginal windows theme took care of it with flying , windows..............

Thanks for the help folks, another valuble computer lesson learned by the cool peeps on anantech.

There is a way to fix it without just removing your skin. You just have to rename certain folders. look on neowin to find more.