Can't OC E4300 on DS3 at all!!!!

yell0wflash

May 11, 2007
Hi guys, I've been trying to OC my e4300, but nothing works can't even set the FSB to 210. Everytime I try to OC my system just turns off completely for a second then turns back on, but once it get to the Gigabyte screen it reboots again and the settings go back to stock. But I've found out that if I turn the power switch off when it shuts down the first time the setting will stick and allow me to go into Windows, if I restart the settings stay,but if I do a shut down it will reboot at the Gigabyte screen and go back to stock. Once I was in Windows I was able to run Orthos stable for 3 hours. I've also ran memtest for 3 hours, so I don't think its the ram.

PCI-e frequency is set to 100

Memory is set to 5-5-5-15

Multiplier is set to 2.00

I've followed the guide on Legion Hardware

I've tried increasing the FSB and MCH to +0.1v

Tried disabling the "No-execute memory protect" in the Advanced Bios Features

Tried all the different memory voltages up till +0.4V

My motherboard is a DS3 rev 3.3 with the latest bios F11 upgraded with @bios since I don't have a floppy

My memory are 2x1GB Buffalo Firestix DDR2-800

Power supply is NeoHe 500
here are the specs for my PS:
+3.3V@23A, +5V@17A, +12V1@17A, +12V2@17A, +12V3@17A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2.5A

all I'm running in my computer is 1 dvd burner, 1 hard drive, and a BFG 7900 GTO.
I also have 4 fans running: 3 120mm Antec Tricool and 1 120mm Yateloon

Cooler is Artic Freezer 7 Pro

f4phantom2500

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2006
if you have a friend with a c2d rig that you know overclocks well, try your chip in his board and his chip in your board and see what happens; if neither work then it's probably both, if his chip doesn't clock well only in your board then it's probably the board, if your chip doesn't clock well in his board then it's probably the chip.

yell0wflash

May 11, 2007
don't have any friends with c2d system, can it be more of a problem with the mobo since I'm able to reach 2.55ghz in Windows if I don't shut down the computer? because the chip is able to OC after all, its just that the bios setting won't stay.

f4phantom2500

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2006
it sounds more like a problem with the board, tbh. although it could be the psu or some obscure piece of hardware (never know with computers).

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
Have you tried replacing the mobo battery? I know the board is new but it happens more frequently than you realize.

Edit: Also, look on your PSU label and give us the 12v Amps please.

yuppiejr

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
I'm not ready to blame hardware for this at all, looking at the troubleshooting so far it sounds like this guy is jumping all over the place making random changes to god knows what in the BIOS. If you are using a 210 FSB and the RAM multi is locked at 2x you're only running the RAM at 420 mhz when it's rated for 800... why would your throw +0.4v at a component that isn't even running at it's stock rated speeds?

The automatically "defaulting settings" behavior of the mobo is not an indication of a bad battery, it's normal behavior for the DS3 freaking out at some oddball combination of setting the OP has set. The mainboard is going into "failsafe" settings mode so the machine will actually boot and allow corrections to the jacked up settings. OP - you need to do a CMOS reset and start from scratch, god knows what else is configured that could be screwing with your O/C.

LegionHardware's guide is ok but I thought the HardOCP DS3 overclocking guide was far better, particularly for newer overclockers:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1169366

The guide will walk you through each and every relevant BIOS setting to establish a safe baseline and then provides a good methodology for overclocking from there.

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
You need to bsel mod the cpu. DS3 has a problem with taking the 800 fsb strap and not being able to clock for crap. BSEL mod to 1066 strap and results will be much better.

yuppiejr

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Yoxxy
You need to bsel mod the cpu. DS3 has a problem with taking the 800 fsb strap and not being able to clock for crap. BSEL mod to 1066 strap and results will be much better.

This guy's problems are not strap related, it's bad overclocking methods - he's having problems at 210 FSB... If he follows the HardOCP guide and properly sets up the MIT tweak screen in his BIOS he should have no problems getting into the 2.4 - 2.8 territory without much trouble or doing a chip mod.

If he wants to push the 3 ghz barrier the BSEL mod may be useful, however I would consider it a "if all else fails" option and not something to be attempted until he's got a better handle on how far his system can overclock as-is.

yell0wflash

May 11, 2007
thanks for the input, yea it seems it seems im making changes to too many things, but i only made those changes by reading other forums and threads because it seemed liked other people were having the same problems, so i tried those solutions before i started this thread.

I'm not sure but i think I may have found the problem, I just noticed that when running Orthos, CPU-Z shows my voltage as 1.264 sometimes jumping to 1.28. Can this be the problem? I have the voltage settings at stock, so it should be 1.325 right? Anyone know what setting in the bios I can use to fix this?

OK, now when I stop Orthos it goes up to 1.296

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: yell0wflash
Hi guys, I've been trying to OC my e4300, but nothing works can't even set the FSB to 210. Everytime I try to OC my system just turns off completely for a second then turns back on, but once it get to the Gigabyte screen it reboots again and the settings go back to stock. But I've found out that if I turn the power switch off when it shuts down the first time the setting will stick and allow me to go into Windows, if I restart the settings stay,but if I do a shut down it will reboot at the Gigabyte screen and go back to stock. Once I was in Windows I was able to run Orthos stable for 3 hours. I've also ran memtest for 3 hours, so I don't think its the ram.

PCI-e frequency is set to 100

Memory is set to 5-5-5-15

Multiplier is set to 2.00

I've followed the guide on Legion Hardware

I've tried increasing the FSB and MCH to +0.1v

Tried disabling the "No-execute memory protect" in the Advanced Bios Features

Tried all the different memory voltages up till +0.4V

My motherboard is a DS3 rev 3.3 with the latest bios F11 upgraded with @bios since I don't have a floppy

My memory are 2x1GB Buffalo Firestix DDR2-800

Power supply is NeoHe 500

first off what COOLING ARE YOU RUNNING?

Please list your cooling device. You failed to mention it.

Lastly im looking at your PSU.

yell0wflash

May 11, 2007
my cooler is the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro

here are the specs for my PS:
+3.3V@23A, +5V@17A, +12V1@17A, +12V2@17A, +12V3@17A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2.5A

AnotherGuy

Dec 9, 2003
Maybe the quickest guide to overclocking for starters...

Set bios to 'Optimum" settings Save and exit....start computer, load windows, restart.
Get in bios, disable any auto overclocking settings, set memory timing to ur defaults... dont touch any voltages..... increase fsb to say 260 and set multiplier to 9.... Save & EXIT. I think that should be a starting point... After u can see till how far u can take ur fsb while checking temps.

Now I am not totally sure if that works for the DS3 or not... but id say thats like the basics...

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
I just noticed that when running Orthos, CPU-Z shows my voltage as 1.264 sometimes jumping to 1.28. Can this be the problem? I have the voltage settings at stock, so it should be 1.325 right? OK, now when I stop Orthos it goes up to 1.296
I reiterate my previous request: please give us the 12v rail Amps from your PSU (look on the label).

Also tell us what else you're running in your PC -- # of hard drives, opticals, and which video card. We need to get a feel for how much stress your PSU is under.

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005

That is a strapping problem plain and simple.

Board is trying to switch straps higher.

yuppiejr

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
thanks for the input, yea it seems it seems im making changes to too many things, but i only made those changes by reading other forums and threads because it seemed liked other people were having the same problems, so i tried those solutions before i started this thread.

I'm not sure but i think I may have found the problem, I just noticed that when running Orthos, CPU-Z shows my voltage as 1.264 sometimes jumping to 1.28. Can this be the problem? I have the voltage settings at stock, so it should be 1.325 right? Anyone know what setting in the bios I can use to fix this?

OK, now when I stop Orthos it goes up to 1.296

Let me guess, you didn't read and follow the guide I linked yet?

One of the first things they have you do is DISABLE the various power saving (thus your power fluxuations) features that will alter the FSB speed, voltage and freq multiplier based on CPU load (like when you run Orthos).

Seriously - trying to help, but if you aren't going to help yourself by following the very well written guide on overclocking the DS3 board I linked previously I don't see much point in assisting you further. All of the problems you have reported thus far would be corrected if you followed the "basic settings" part of the guide that shows you how to use the MIT menu to remove most of the "auto" features that thwart overclocking.

Finnkc

Jul 9, 2003
yea read the guide ... I too couldn't get my E6420 to clock at all after frigin around for an hour I did some hunting and found that guide to be a big time saver.

yell0wflash

May 11, 2007
sorry, I actually followed that guide before I started this thread and it still didnt help, then after you posted it I decided to clear the CMOS and follow it one more time to be sure, but it still didnt help.

all I'm running in my computer is 1 dvd burner, 1 hard drive, and BFG 7900 GTO.

1ManArmY

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2003
I am having the same exact problems with a E6600 losing it's overclock of 9 X 340 after 8 hours of testing with fulll load on orthos (GO) but after a system shutdown or restart it reverts back to stock settings 9 X 266.
I have followed the OC guide in question and still no success. All of the power saving and CPU throttling options have been disabled. I am now going to test my RAM with memtest and I am also starting to look at my power supply and battery.

Finnkc

Jul 9, 2003
Not sure what to tell you then. The problems you are having was exactly what I was going through with the board. I read the walk through on hardforum and vola! I was running at 3.2ghz with out a hickup.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

What types of DVD burner and hard drive: IDE or SATA?

kmmatney

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2000
I had the exact same problem with my system in my sig. If I moved the FSB up to 210, my system would crash, exactly like yours. I was about to pin mod my cpu, when I decided to try one other thing - greatly lower my memory speed. What I did was set my memory to 533 Mhz in the BIOS. After that, I was able to get the FSB up to 290. At 300, I started getting some instability. I'm still at stock voltage, and I have a feeling that upping the voltages may help, but I'm happy with 2.9 Ghz, and it's "Oblivion" stable.

I also turned off all SpeedStep features. The ral key was making sure my memory speed never went above 800 Mhz - even a few MHz above and my system would crash. Keep the memory speed below 800 Mhz, and I was good to go, even with my lowly power supply.

herbiehancock

May 11, 2006
From where did you source your Buffalo Firestix? Did you buy them new or used?

The only reason I ask is that while the VAST majority of Firestix have Micron D9 ICs, there was one retailer that sold Firestix with Elpidia ICs.....MicroCenter. Don't know if theirs have changed over to Micron, but that's the only place that sold the non-Micron IC'd Firestix from all reports I've seen on other forums, esp. XtremeSystems.org. And the Elpidia IC'd Firestix couldn't OC worth a damn!

Otherwise, the E43000 and the Gigabyte DS3, Rev. 3.3 is a very easy and good overclocking combo.....

I built my wife's system using those same exact components. The rest of her system differs a bit from yours.....she's got PNY DDR2-667 RAM (only cost me $65 after MIR), a Seagate 160GB SATA hard drive, Enhance ENP-5150GH power supply. I ran hers up to 3GHz, but was completely RAM limited, so I backed it down to 2.8GHZ to give the RAM an easier time of it, and it's been running like that for a couple of months without problem.

I really doubt it's your power supply that's the culprit here.....plenty of juice on your +12V rails.....and the NeoHE isn't a cheapie CWT-built Antec, either.

Sounds more like somewhere you've got some BIOS settings set too aggressively and the board is resetting itself to compensate........or you've got the Gigabyte OC'ing software running...the software Gigabyte provides to monitor your mb temps and do software OC'ing......I had trouble with that software and ended up unloading it. Damned thing would sometimes revert back to stock settings despite what the BIOS settings were set to once Windows booted.

1ManArmY

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2003
Originally posted by: vailr

What types of DVD burner and hard drive: IDE or SATA?

I'm currently running a 320 WD SATA HD, Lite-on DVD SATA Burner
120 WD IDE (master), Lite-on CD-Burner (IDE) slave

AbRASiON

Oct 10, 1999
Just a small piece of info, it might be nothing but some people on other forums are claiming if you disable USB keyboard / mouse / bootable drive support for DOS (I'm not even sure which command they mean in the bios?) it will fix the problem.

I know it sounds ridiculous but I've now seen 2 people claim thtat.......... give it a shot - I'd be curious to know because it annoyed me so much I sold the board and CPU over a monthago.