cant make a connection with Remote Assistance

kermalou

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2001
i am trying to help a client troubleshoot one of his programs. he send me an invitation and I opened it and i get this error:

A Remote Assistance connection could not be established. You may want to check for network issues or determine if the invitation expired or was cancelled by the person who sent it.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Remote Desktop is an excellent tool. However it is more complicated and closer to the OS then simple Remote Control Program, there might be something wrong with the system that might prevent it to work well to begin with. Or and it is too complicated to handle by the remote person.

I usually will start with a simple VNC program for the initial controlling and repairing, and then switch to Remote Desktop when I know for sure that every thing is ready for it.

Link to: Ultr@VNC (Remote Control for your Network/Internet) - Installation, and Settings

:sun:

ktwebb

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 1999
Either of your behind a NAT router? If so then you might need to forward the ports on one of both sides. Google remote assistance port forwarding or something like that.

Kanly

Oct 23, 1999
Going from memory here:

If he is behind NAT and sends you an invite as an email, in that invite it has his NAT address, not the external IP address. So, RD is trying to connect to say 192.168.1.1: Port # instead of his external IP address: Port #.

You can save that invite to your hard drive then open it up using notepad and replace his NAT address with the external IP address.