Question Cant install any winidows updates or motherboard drivers

tlucca1

Oct 5, 2022
Hi all, Wondering if you could help me in the right direction. I recently built a computer with an ASus Tuf Gaming motherboard z590 with Wifi, i7 11700k cpu, 16 gb ddr 4 memory and a samsung 970 pro 1 tb drive m.2. I have a geforce 1660 graphics card. I also have a 750W Segotep Gold power supply. I purchased a full version of windows 11 home from microsoft, and I am able to install windows on the hard drive, but I cant install any of the cumulative windows updates (it tells me it failed and to retry with error code 0xca020007), or any of the motherboard drivers (when I install the chipset drivers, nothing happens. I dont get any error code or anything, it just goes back to the desktop. I tried removing each 8 gb memory card but that didnt solve it, I also installed windows to a separate SATA hard drive but that didnt solve anything. Ive also gotten a few blue screens with error code Critical Process Died. Could the problem be the motherboard? I tried tech support from microsoft since I purchased windows 11 home and they just told me i need to contact the hardware manufacturer. Any guidance would be super helpful. Thanks!

tlucca1

Oct 5, 2022
Jul 27, 2020
Do a complete Windows memory diagnostics FULL TEST. If that passes, it's not the RAM.

Remove the graphics driver and try to update with just the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver. If it still doesn't work, it's not the graphics card. What remains is the CPU, mobo and PSU. Unfortunately, not easy to rule these out unless you can try alternate ones by borrowing from a friend.

tlucca1

Oct 5, 2022
Do a complete Windows memory diagnostics FULL TEST. If that passes, it's not the RAM.

Remove the graphics driver and try to update with just the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver. If it still doesn't work, it's not the graphics card. What remains is the CPU, mobo and PSU. Unfortunately, not easy to rule these out unless you can try alternate ones by borrowing from a friend.
Thank you so much for the direction. Ill start with those. I can find an alternate PSU but dont think I can find alternate motherboard and CPU. I can always order another mobo to see if that works and just return the non working motherboard. Thanks for the help.

tlucca1

Oct 5, 2022

Quick question,

I have a few things that dont have proper drivers installed. Could this be the problem?1665616282329.png