Can't hurt to ask... [A request for jobs: IT, photography, writing]

Status
Not open for further replies.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Due to current circumstances, that being my state of unemployment, I am actively seeking a new job. I've been mostly looking and applying for whatever slightly more lower-level but not entry-level, due to experience. I haven't, however, searched much into project management or low- to mid-level management, also experienced in the latter; I admit that and now realize that's something - now that I literally just thought about it - I will probably start focusing on that; after, of course, making some calls to a few that I think I have a decent shot at, so long as the unemployment and details about that I don't care to put to type at this time.

That said, I am also looking into photography opportunities, mainly by focusing on building a strong portfolio at this point. I do browse craigslist and elance for what I can do with what equipment I have. I definitely need more glass and, especially for any gigs, a second camera - all of which I definitely cannot afford until I can make some money off of my photography. The plan is to either use my in-progress photography portfolio website to double as a store. I figure any photo I feel anyone wants to buy, as art, is portfolio-grade, at least at the start.

Now, the real point for this thread. Before I truly begin, if anyone in the NW Ohio region, preferably within the Greater Toledo metropolitan region, has news of opportunities related to the above, I'm all ears.

Probably my largest focus in life, where I have procrastinated most efficiently, is a writing career. Many of you know my long-winded nature, I love writing and do not mind investing time into most posts. I type and think fairly fast, though I generally stick to a sloppier, looser and winding narrative style, as I mostly stick to transcribing my thoughts in real-time. It allows me to make articulated posts, of which I hope generate a good discussion.

Though I think many ignore them, as most don't want to read anything other than quick thoughts. I admit to doing the same thing frequently, though sometimes I double back some time later, maybe even days later, especially if I'm familiar with that particularly long-winded poster.

My long-term goal is to write novels. For the past ten years, I've been developing a universe for a hopefully-realistic near-future series. I have much work to do and heavy research into theoretical technology and science, and first want to focus on a present day story prequel to what I consider the main series.

I'd say my main near-term goal, relatively speaking, is to both publish parts of the story in some literary magazine and possibly self-publish as cheap short novels on Amazon. I honestly think, when focusing on the prose, I do have the chops to share at least a modest amount of the success on Amazon (with self-advertising) that quite a few have had. The main goal just being to get agents noticed, as I would want the large publisher route for the full proper novels.

Oh, right! You might be wondering about the original question that must have been on my mind when you read the thread title. To which I say, read on.

Does anyone know any opportunities at magazines, websites, blogs, etc for a real career-style job?

I'd love any assistance, ranging from a name and contact to giving me a shot with, say, a field test of shorts: an unimportant or otherwise test assignment. I admit to having nothing in my portfolio for this task, but I'd rather not maintain some sort of blog-style portfolio at the moment.

Feel free to PM if so desired. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.