Can't get display to 60Hz refresh...stuck at 59Hz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
I'm stumped. I cannot set my monitor to a 60Hz refresh rate. It is stuck on 59Hz. 60Hz is available and I can select/apply it. I can press Apply/OK/OK. But when I go back in it's changed to 59Hz. :hmm: This problem started after I reloaded my system. No such issues before.

I have a fresh Win7 x64/SP1 load. The latest NVidia drivers. The latest Direct_X. The latest monitor drivers. Relevant specs:

Asrock P67 Ext4 MB
i2500K (no OC)
GTX470 (no OC)
Dell 2407WFP LCD

Everything runs fine. Benchmarks, games...no BSODs or other anomolies. I can detect a slight eyestrain though due to the diff refresh rate and I'd like to get it set to 60Hz. Any ideas?

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Hmmm.. No offense, but its impossible for you to detect a difference between 59hz and 60hz. And, I get eyestrain even at 60hz which is why I run a 120hz monitor. Gaming at 60hz is...derp.

I am unsure of why you think there is a difference between 59 and 60hz but I think you are making an assumption that holds no basis. If you believe that when you previously had it set to 60hz it was a big difference, I think you are mistaken.

In terms of fixing the issue, I dont know. It can only be video card driver or monitor driver related. Just so you know, 60hz is sometimes actually 59.XXhz so its probably working as intended is my guess.

Last edited:

Tuna-Fish

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hmmm.. No offense, but its impossible for you to detect a difference between 59hz and 60hz.

The biggest problem is that when consuming 30hz content (DVDs), this causes one frame in 30 to display half the time the others do. This can be visually distracting to some people.

Ieat

Jan 18, 2012
Go to nvidia control panel and click change resolution. Hit customize and then create custom resolution. Should be and option to adjust refresh in there. You may even be able to overclock your refresh rate depending on if your monitor can handle it. Once you create the custom res you should be able to select it in Windows.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
this is a very common problem and a quick google search would tell you how to get around it by creating a custom resolution like Ieat refers too.

I have only had this happen on 2 sets of drivers ever and that is what I did to take care of it.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Maybe the monitor is not reporting the correct EDID information, or somehow the monitor driver has confusing information or something... maybe it's not the video card driver. It could be that the monitor information/driver is holding the video card hostage and forcing it to use 59 instead of 60.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Maybe the monitor is not reporting the correct EDID information, or somehow the monitor driver has confusing information or something... maybe it's not the video card driver. It could be that the monitor information/driver is holding the video card hostage and forcing it to use 59 instead of 60.
its usually the driver as I have ad the same issue twice myself. if I go back to those drivers the 59hz issue comes right back. now maybe certain monitors have issues with certain drivers but drivers are part of the issue without a doubt.

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Interesting. Never knew this was a common issue.

The biggest problem is that when consuming 30hz content (DVDs), this causes one frame in 30 to display half the time the others do. This can be visually distracting to some people.

Fair enough, that makes sense.

Anyways, sounds like a quick custom resolution fixes it.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
It's a common issue with windows 7 if I remember correctly. I just started ignoring it because I couldn't fix it.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
You can safely ignore the issue. I had this problem as well and even had nvidia support look into it. It is just incorrect timing between monitor driver and nvidia driver. But it IS right, just not showing right.

This was on my Dell u2410. The issue resolved itself after a few driver updates though.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Thanks guys. Lots of good info here. I'm thinking it must be NVidia driver-related, b/c that's the only thing diff b/t this current build and the build I had a month ago. Same hardware, same Windows updates, same monitor driver, BUT in prep for the OS reload I DL'd the latest NV driver. That must be it. I'll check out that custom resolution fix.
Thanks again. I appreciate your time. :)

skanskan

Oct 10, 2010
The question is not that your naked eyes is able to detect the difference between 59Hz and 60Hz, obviously it can't.
The question is that this frequency can interfere with the frequency of the lights in you room, dependending on where you live and the kind of illumination you are using it can be 50Hz, 60Hz or other.
That's why you can choose and try the best option for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.