Can't Get BF2142 to List Servers and It Kicks Me Off The Net....

Sithtiger

Apr 4, 2005
I'm running Vista x64 and BF2142 was working just fine until Sunday night. I don't know how long this has been going (the problem that is), but I hadn't played BF2142 in about a month and a half and decided to play again the other night.

Here's what happens. I login to it, select a soldier and then I go to the main menu. When I goto the MP menu and tell it to refresh the server list, this is where the problem starts. IF it lists any servers, it's not more than 11, but it's usually around 3. What's even stranger is if I goto connect to one of those servers it tells me I don't have a network connection. I then usually have to Alt-Tab or use Task Manager to get back to the desktop. When I get back there, I usually have to force it to close and discover my Internet connection is gone. In order to get it back up, I have to power cycle both my router and my modem.

I've tried it with just the DSL modem to take the router out of the picture, so the router isn't a problem. I've also checked for Viruses and spyware....nada. Windows firewall isn't blocking any ports either. My ISP isn't blocking any ports as well. I don't have a problem with any other games, save BF2. I don't recall making any significant changes to Windows since the last time I played BF2142 or BF2....that is I've installed some other programs like other demos such as Hellgate London and so forth but nothing else.

I don't have any problems with any other MP game such as COD, COD2, HL2, MOHAA, Jedi Academy....etc. I tried installing 2142 on my sons computer the other night and got the same response. Then I tried it again on his computer today and it worked?? I've tried disabling Windows firewall to no avail. I know it's not the router because like I said, it works on my son's computer now which has XP. It was working just fine the last time I played it and I have no idea what's different and why it's only affecting BF2142 and possibly BF2. I say possibly BF2 because it's sort of working now....that is I get a memory error with it. I had already d/led those MS updates to fix 32-bit programs running under 64-bit OS environment and it was working fine until a few days ago.

I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it twice now, without any positive results.
Does anyone have any idea what's going on with it?? Thanks in Advance!

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
Yeah the game's awful. Go for the Orange Box or some DOD/CS source.

Wait for the new Trauma Studios game (makers of Desert Combat). I think it's called Frontlines or something..

Sithtiger

Apr 4, 2005
Thanks, I tried that and it didn't work. I agree, the game definitely has it's problems. I Just don't understand what's blocking the connection and booting me off the Net.

Sithtiger

Apr 4, 2005
*Problem Solved*

I found out the cause of the blockage. Unfortunately it was after a format and reinstall of Vista. Anyway it was a driver update for my Ethernet card. The only problem is, it was for a different manufacturer. I guess that will teach me to pay attention to optional driver updates! I guess I just assumed that any driver updates from MS had to be right. Afterall, they wouldn't suggest something that could harm you....right? ;)

The odd thing about that was, is that everything worked just fine, save BF2142 and BF2. I didn't have any problems with any other game or downloading, surfing the web....nothing. Well, I can rest easy now knowing the problem is fixed. Thanks for your input guys!