Can't find/join servers in Battlefield 1942

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
BF1942 is one of my all time favorite games but I installed it again recently (haven't played for at least 3 years) and it's driving me nuts. I patched it to the latest (final) patch. In the game, in multiplayer I go to update/refresh and no servers ever come up. So I use Gamespy Arcade and it finds a good amount of servers, I find one and try to connect and it loads up, about 5 seconds later I get the failed to connect message. Bah. Next step is to configure my router/firewall since I figure that's the problem. So I open up all the correct ports, turn off my software firewall. I try another server and get the failed to connect thing again, and the in-game server browser still finds nothing.

Now it's getting aggravating. So now for the last resort, good ole' DMZ mode, nothing fails in DMZ mode. Wrong. Still failed to connect and still the in game server browser finds 0 servers when I know there are plenty of servers out there, even though it's an old game. So I don't know what the deal is. It's not a connection problem apparently, with it still not working in DMZ mode and with no firewall (hardware or software). I don't think it has to do with the patches either, I had the same problem before I patched it, it wouldn't find any servers. So now I'm really confused and aggravated.

Anyone have any ideas on what else to try? Thanks.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I believe the last patch is 1.61. Is this what you are using? I played a few weeks ago and found plenty of servers.

Apr 17, 2005
yeah, you need to upgrade to the latest 1.61 patch. unfortunately the two servers that i relly liked were 1.60 servers, so i cant play them unless i install everythign and reinstall it to 1.60. :(

Boobs McGee

Feb 6, 2006
1.61b should be good. Try out the All Seeing Eye app. It tends to find lots of servers. I havent checked for a little while though to see how many servers are still running out there. I would bet there are still at least a few DC and FH servers.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
I got a different antivirus (went from Antivir to Avast) and it works fine now. I don't know why but the last couple times i've installed Anti-Vir it's been totally messed up and won't listen to anything I tell it to do. Avast seems good so far, hasn't bothered me at all hardly.

Ctrackstar126

Jul 14, 2005
I play competitive bf2 and know tons of guys who play 1942 and I always see them in populated servers. PM me and I can get you some xfires.