Can't decide which tablet to get my mom for Christmas

TheSweeney

Nov 26, 2014
Hey all,

Christmas is coming up and I want to get my mom a tablet. She's been using a Sony Vaio laptop for a few years now, and it's starting to show its age. She hasn't replaced it or upgraded because my sister also uses the laptop for ripping CDs into iTunes to put on her phone. I recently quizzed her on her usage to try and help get her a new computer in the coming months.

She told me that she really doesn't do too much on the device. She browses the web, checks Facebook and email, watches the occasional YouTube video, watches Netflix and reads books on her Kindle. Her Kindle has been acting up recently as well, and that combined with her rather light computer usage, I decide a tablet would be a fantastic option for her.

I'm trading in my iPhone 5 at GameStop later this week and will be getting just shy of $150 in cash, which I plan to use to buy the tablet. I don't mind spending a little bit of my own money on a tablet, but my budget is quite tight. Did some research and found a couple tablets that I was interested in, particularly the HP Stream 7 (and Stream 8) and the ASUS MeMo Pad HD 7 (and HD 8).

The HP Stream 7 looks like a fantastic little tablet for just $99. I can't find the Stream 8 online anywhere, but the price looks to be somewhere between $150 and $180, definitely within my budget. The ASUS MeMo Pad HD 7 seems to be marked at $150, but I've found it as low as $99, and the MeMo Pad HD 8 seems to be marked at $200, but I've found it for $100 on GameStop's website (http://www.gamestop.com/android/tab...top-exclusive/114215?loc=newandroid_row5_col3).

Again, she'd mainly be using the device to check email and Facebook, do some light web browsing, read Kindle books and watch some YouTube and Netflix. I do think these cheap, small tablets will be great fit for her, but I don't know which one to get. She's used an Android phone in the past and didn't like it, but she also doesn't care for Windows 8 (but she's only used it on her laptop).

I'm personally leaning toward the HP Stream 7, but I'd love some suggestions on which of these tablets to buy.

PS: hopefully this is in the right forum. Just registered today to ask this question as it has been ignored on three separate subreddits.