Can't decide a quiet cheaper fan

psygnosis

Jan 30, 2015
Hi guys.
Can you please advice me a good brand or product for cpu cooling?
I can't decide between CoolerMaster and Artict Cooling what brand is more quiet? CM cost a litlle less than AC...but I'd like to buy the quiter one...

I see the arctic freezeer i30 and the CM Hyper 212 evo...

I need a quiet brand 'cause I also have to replace the PSU fan to try to silence it a bit..

Thank you so much

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
yate loon...

Also its not recommended to replace a PSU fan....
u will need to cut wires and splice them together, which will void all warranty.

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
The 212 is a great budget cooler, but the stock fan is noisy. Most likely will want to replace it with a pair of Yate Loons as aigomorla suggested. At that point, it's in a different budget range and you might consider two better and quieter coolers:

Scythe Kotetsu for $41 on Amazon. It has a great, easy to use mounting system, very quiet efficient fan and can run with the big dog air coolers, see SPCR review: http://www.silentpcreview.com/Scythe_Kotetsu

Thermalright True Spirit 140 Rev A for $49 on Amazon. It's an improved, more compatible version of the 140 Power with a very quiet 140mm fan. Here's a review: http://www.play3r.net/reviews/cooling/thermalright-true-spirit-140-bw-rev/

Safer to swap out the power supply with a quieter one. Let us know the power range and we can make some suggestions. If you're determined to swap the fan, you want to find a quieter one with similar cfm and starting voltages. Tell us the model of the PSU and we'll make some suggestions.

psygnosis

Jan 30, 2015
yate loon is not sold in my country...
I have to choose between CM, AC, Zalman, Corsair, Schyte, Thermaltake and some others.
But for what I see CM, Scythe and Ac are the moste cheaper...
And again for what I've read everyone stay away from AC...

Schyte model for my budget are Katana 4, tsunami and Ninja 3
for CM the TX3 Evo and for a bit more the 212 Evo (that has a 12" fan so it's better for silence right?).

My PSU is an Enermax NANX 450W (and I can't afford another psu now =( )

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
So, do you need a fan or do you need a CPU cooler?

If you need a fan and Yate Loons are not available, then Scythe is usually a safe bet. The only caveat is Scythe makes lots of different fans with very different blades designs, it also uses bearings/motors from several different manufacturers. It's not really a problem as Scythe uses/makes quality stuff, but it's something to be aware of as different fan designs will work differently depending on where you use them.

psygnosis

Jan 30, 2015
So, do you need a fan or do you need a CPU cooler?

Both...
I need:

• CPU cooler
  • 1x 120mm fan for PSU
  • (optional) 2x 8mm fan for case (for extraction and injection)
the most silent I can get.
For now I think Scythe Katana 4 has the most higher value for money.
Now:
'Cause I need to silence the Enermax NANX that is noisy because it absorb more power then in my previous configuration (it was really quite when I had the radeon 7750 now with the r7 265 its a bit too noisy and I know that change it, it's better but i dont have all that money).

what do u think of Noctua NF-S12B Redux 1200 or the Scythe SY1225SL12SH for the psu.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
Noctua consistently makes very high quality fans, but they're also very expensive for what you get. I just replaced all of my fans with Noctuas (including my PSU fan) and I'm very happy with them, but most fans from Scythe will probably be fine choices, and possibly better choices if you're on a budget. Here in the 'states, Noctua fans are often nearly twice as expensive as other high quality fans.

I know they're not available, but Yate Loons are often the best "cheap" fans. Their downside is that they use a sleeve bearing, and have rather short lifespans if mounted horizontally, as in the case of your power supply. I would make sure to pick a fan that does not use a sleeve bearing for that one.

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
If you're not overclocking much the Scythe Katana 4 is a very good choice. One of the quietest 92mm coolers.

Depending on cost, the AC Freezer 7 PRO Rev.2 is a good alternative as well. What CPU are you using and is it overclocked?

The Enermax NANX uses a Yate Loon D12SH-12, which is a fairly quiet fan, but it seems the fan profile is fairly aggressive so it would get noisier faster under load. It also could be that the bearings are starting to wear. Or they just need to be lubricated.

I would choose the S12B first then the Scythe, just for the bearing advantage of the Noctua. An AC F12 would be a good, low cost alternative as well.

PhIlLy ChEeSe

Apr 1, 2013
Hi guys.
Can you please advice me a good brand or product for cpu cooling?
I can't decide between CoolerMaster and Artict Cooling what brand is more quiet? CM cost a litlle less than AC...but I'd like to buy the quiter one...

I see the arctic freezeer i30 and the CM Hyper 212 evo...

I need a quiet brand 'cause I also have to replace the PSU fan to try to silence it a bit..

Thank you so much

I just think this is kinda a contradiction as to which is a better cooler, and i need a quiet brand?

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Do you have Thermaltake Frio Silent 12 or Silent 14 available? Those are really quiet.

i30 is quieter than 212 EVO though, comparing just those two. But Scythe Katana 4 and Mugen 4 are quieter than either of those.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I have no hesitation for choosing an after-market cooler for its thermal resistance, and readily replacing the fan with one I deem better.

And I'm the lone wolf here, because airflow is a primary objective to me, and acoustic factors sort of an ancillary but no less serious project.

If the expense weren't a deal-breaker, I'd put a Noctua iPPC of either the 2,000 or 3,000 RPM spec on the heatpipe cooler or rear exhaust. Under load-test circumstances and temperatures, I'd probably tune the fan profile of the more powerful iPPC to exceed 2,500, with lower temperatures following fan speed between 1,000 and 2,000.

psygnosis

Jan 30, 2015
Sorry for my late answer i was waiting for the free shipping for the site I usually buy.
Depending on cost, the AC Freezer 7 PRO Rev.2 is a good alternative as well. What CPU are you using and is it overclocked?
i3 3220 not overclocked
I would choose the S12B first then the Scythe, just for the bearing advantage of the Noctua. An AC F12 would be a good, low cost alternative as well.
I think I will go for the AC its cheaper...ty so much for the advice...my enermax was so silent i think that after 3 years the fan becaming a bit noisy

Do you have Thermaltake Frio Silent 12 or Silent 14 available? Those are really quiet.
i30 is quieter than 212 EVO though, comparing just those two. But Scythe Katana 4 and Mugen 4 are quieter than either of those.
thermaltake is out of my budget.
I for my budget I have to choose betweek Scythe Katana 4 and Zalman CNPS8x Optima

And I'm the lone wolf here, because airflow is a primary objective to me, and acoustic factors sort of an ancillary but no less serious project.
you are not a lone wolf I think the same...airflow and acoustic became very important for me too...

BTW
final choice: Zalman or Scythe? (scythe cost just 3-4 bucks more) for what i've read Scythe seems quiter and better handle the heat than zalman but maybe i'm wrong...so i will waiting for someone more expert than me

Last edited:

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
I have found the Intel stock cooler to be very quiet and extremely adequate for a stock i3. I'm not sure why you'd want to replace it.

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Sorry for my late answer i was waiting for the free shipping for the site I usually buy.

i3 3220 not overclocked

I think I will go for the AC its cheaper...ty so much for the advice...my enermax was so silent i think that after 3 years the fan becaming a bit noisy

thermaltake is out of my budget.
I for my budget I have to choose betweek Scythe Katana 4 and Zalman CNPS8x Optima

you are not a lone wolf I think the same...airflow and acoustic became very important for me too...

BTW
final choice: Zalman or Scythe? (scythe cost just 3-4 bucks more) for what i've read Scythe seems quiter and better handle the heat than zalman but maybe i'm wrong...so i will waiting for someone more expert than me

I would select the Scythe. However, if you're not overclocking then even the AC Freezer 7 or i30 would suffice and be much cooler and quieter than the stock intel micro-buzzer.

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
I have found the Intel stock cooler to be very quiet and extremely adequate for a stock i3. I'm not sure why you'd want to replace it.

Ha! This is why building your own personal computer is so personal.

Under full load at 55dB, the stock intel cooler is not even close to quiet imo. That's a server room number, not a silent desktop number.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to keep the stock intel whizzer. It's a bad mounting system, compounded by small surface area with a small noisy fan buzzing on top of poor thermals.

Of course, I no longer purchase Intel retail boxes, so avoid the landfill guilt. Which to my ears is the only place to use Intel coolers.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Ha! This is why building your own personal computer is so personal.

Under full load at 55dB, the stock intel cooler is not even close to quiet imo. That's a server room number, not a silent desktop number.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to keep the stock intel whizzer. It's a bad mounting system, compounded by small surface area with a small noisy fan buzzing on top of poor thermals.

Of course, I no longer purchase Intel retail boxes, so avoid the landfill guilt. Which to my ears is the only place to use Intel coolers.

I won't dispute your take on the little Intel Whizzer-whiners, but it could also be a matter of fine-tuning any motherboard thermal fan control. But they are, indeed, a lot noisier than some decent 120mm fans deployed to heatpipe towers, and I don't fiddle with the stock Intel coolers anymore. Not for convenience; not for saving money; not for anything.