can't connect to workgroup

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
Ok so I added a new machine to my home network today. I was going to pass a file from one machine to it, but it can't connect to the workgroup. And now none of them can either. Says it is not accessible. Not sure how to proceed at this point.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
Normal stuff to me. 192.168.5, other computers are .3 and .2 I believe. Was working fine but now none of them can view the workgroup. Not seeing anything that would kill it..

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
Ok I fixed it. All I did was just change the name of the workgroup to something else. I still don't know why it didn't work before. Oh well, false alarm.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
While I have your attention Jack, and premature gratz on 10,000 posts, I can't connect to one computer. It requires a password. It's the only one out of the 3 that is XP Pro, others are HE. Now, I don't need a password for other computers, just for this one. How can I fix it so I don't need one?

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Setup accounts on that computer for whatever IDs you use to login to the other computers. THen it should atuomatically authenticate them.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Home Edition is using only simple sharing. Simple sharing does not need PW scheme.

XP Pro can use simple sharing, or XP Pro sharing, if set to the Pro sharing it would use logon and PW system.

Link to: WinXP Pro File Sharing Troubleshooting.

:sun:

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
Ok, while on the pro computer I can take files off of the home computer fine, but I cannot put files onto the home computer. Neither can the home computer take files from the pro computer. Simple file sharing was on, so I don't know why it asks for a pw. I also had guest account disabled, but maybe that's why it's not working. Let me enable it... Ok that will have to do for now. I wish I could just disable the password prompt, so much easier on HE.. Not sure why the pro machine, even with simple sharing on, still requires it.