Can't boot Debian ISO off Zalman VE200 drive

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I have a Zalman VE200 drive which is suppose to emulate a cdrom drive from ISOs that you load on it. It saves from having to burn a CD or even having a CDROM drive. For whatever reason, it REFUSES to boot off the Debian ISO specifically. (found here: http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.5.0/amd64/iso-dvd/ ) Any other ISO works. I can boot off the Debian ISO from Virtualbox, so I know the ISO works.

Why wont this work?

Failing that, is there any other method I can boot from an ISO on a physical machine without burning it? Not all distros/OSes have a USB stick option, so I don't like to depend on that, I want a solution that is universal.

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Have you tried the Debian Live distro instead of the full DVD's? if the live distro works, then you can just run updates after that.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The CDs work, I just like using the DVDs as there's less chance of having to "insert" more mid install, but I ended up just using the CD and it only needed disc 1 anyway. I'm just dumbfounded that this 1 ISO for whatever reason does not want to work, and it may happen to other ones in the future. I like having the install media local that way many years down the line if for some reason I need to install that version, I can.

snickersnack

Feb 14, 2012
Debian ISO have had a neat feature for the past couple of years. You can simply 'cat' them to a USB flash drive and boot from that. I could see whatever magic they use to achieve that possibly confusing an optical disc emulator.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Debian ISO have had a neat feature for the past couple of years. You can simply 'cat' them to a USB flash drive and boot from that. I could see whatever magic they use to achieve that possibly confusing an optical disc emulator.

That's good to know. I always wondered why that does not work for all ISOs, why does the system care if it's USB or a cdrom disc?