Question Can't access volumes on a home shared computer

KarolR2

Jun 12, 2018
I enabled everything i knew and i see the two hard drives on a remote computer on my simple home network, with simple file sharing, but i am told i have no permission and can't access them.

There is no password on the remote and it just refused, with a hard sound, it didn't ask for a password

KarolR2

Jun 12, 2018
I enabled everything i could. the remote computer is Fujitsu, i see it's 2 HD from one computer at home but can't open them, and from the other computer at home i only see Fujitsu and nothing else, and error says can't find network path
The Fujitsu is Win 10 and i want toaccess it from an other Win 10 and from an XP
Simple File Sharing, no passwords.
Ethernet most of the time

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
It wouldn't surprise me if the setting for lower encryption connections is needed for XP and Win10 to communicate is necessary (the setting is in advanced sharing properties, with the choices of - iirc - 128 or 40/56-bit connections).

To be able to use Win10 with passwordless connections then settings (again, advanced sharing properties) have to be changed as well. In my recent experiences I've found them to be far more of a faff to get and stay working, IMO you're better off having some password that you can tell each computer to save to access the other.

There's a registry setting for 'LimitBlankPasswordUse':
https://stigviewer.com/stig/windows_8/2013-02-15/finding/V-3344

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
For WinXP to access Win10 shares, just enable SMB 1.0 Client/Server then reboot Windows 10 PC and you are good to go.

Be sure your network profile is Private in Win10. If not, change it in PC Settings. Also make sure you turn on Network Discovery & File and Printer Sharing in Network and Sharing Center.

Last edited:

KarolR2

Jun 12, 2018
I did everything mxnerd said, still can't access, not from an XP comp, nor from an other Win 10 comp.
But there is a difference, from the XP i see the inner volumes (C:, D:) on the Fujitsu comp (the one that i want to connect to) but can't access them, while on the Win 10 comp i only see Fujitsu and when i selct a message says can't access

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
NTFS has permissions too.

If you want to share files between PCs, IMHO, you need to enable whatever you need to in Advanced File Sharing under the networking stuff, but then, you have to worry again about the filesystem users and permissions, ON TOP OF the network sharing stuff. I think that's where you're at now.

Create a username on the host (server) PC, that the client PC will use to access the files, and give that user read (or read/write) permissions to those directories. (I don't know if you can set advanced file-sharing permissions on a directory or group of files without having the "Pro" version of Windows, btw.)

Edit: Btw, Windows' File-sharing on modern versions of Windows, are designed to operate WITH a password, and normally block access to accounts that don't have a password, for security reasons. (*If your Windows firewall ever fails, or really, if you ever choose Private network, while you're connected directly to the internet, then the entire roving hordes of Chinese internet hackers will 0wn your PC so fast it will make your head spin, if you don't have a password and allow sharing.)

KarolR2

Jun 12, 2018
Thanks but from the XP client, immediatelly as i select the host's shared drive a loud sound and a message appears that i can't access that drive, or something simillar, it doesn't offer me to input a user name and password

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
You are using Win XP on the network. It is OK to do so but you have to take into consideration that it is an OS that came out 18 years ago (which is like centuries in computer terms).

So.. school yourself in Win XP and Home Network sharing and you will find what is the specific setting that you miss.

I never used Win XP Home in advanced network, Win 10 XP Pro works well when using advanced sharing.

In general - https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-xp-tips/share-files-between-windows-xp-and-windows-7-8-10/

:cool:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
I tested the setup in virtual environment and it worked perfectly (with password)

Did you reboot the Win10 PC?

BTW, you need to use one of the account names created on Win10 PC.

You can't expect user john to login from XP if you have 3 users admin, Tom & Brady created on Win10.

Last edited:

KarolR2

Jun 12, 2018
I try to access the Fujitsu (Win 10 pro) also from a Win 10 computer and also no good.
BTW, the System section in Control Paner says it's a WIn 10 pro but AIDA64 Extreme says its a Win 8.1 operating system, how's that?

KarolR2

Jun 12, 2018
I think the problem is i can't make any volume to be shared on the Win 10 comp, in the file browser, when i select the drive and select properties-->Sharing, i can't use the Share button

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I think the problem is i can't make any volume to be shared on the Win 10 comp, in the file browser, when i select the drive and select properties-->Sharing, i can't use the Share button
Click on the Advanced Sharing tab then check the box "Share this folder" then click OK.
E8mlKHo.png

1cl6ZSq.png

Last edited:

KarolR2

Jun 12, 2018
I made this, the volume was "shared" but i couldn't see it from other computers.
But now another problem. the server, the one i try to access to, Fujitsu, saw an other, important, computer called Base, that runs Win XP. i did something, i don't remember what, or maybe it happened "by itself", but now i don't see the XP comp from Fujitsu when the last is on WiFi, but it does see the XP when Fujitsu is wire connected, ethernet connection.