Canon T6 upgrade to a video camera or DSLR

vrlatech

Mar 4, 2019
Currently using my Canon T6 for work, wondering if I should keep using it and get better at utilizing what I have or upgrade to a video camera/DSLR. I was looking at a Canon T7i and Sony A6500 or similar. Mainly using my T6 for producing videos at work. Audio input would be nice but currently overlaying all audio.

Thanks!

Reactions: Orange Kid

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
nothing beats canon's dual pixel auto focus now. so if you dont care about that, go for the sony a6500 and its 4k.

extra

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
If you need or desire the shallow depth of field in videos then yes stick with a DSLR or mirrorless. Luv2liv is correct that Canon's DPAF works great in video. Canon also has lots of great (and affordable) lens choices. But there's also lots of other great choices. If you can get a good deal on Sony E mount stuff you can get a nice adapter to keep using Canon lenses (if you have a good collection of 'em). You'd want to MF though.

I would hold off buying if you stick with Canon. The 90d (or whatever it ends up being called) and the equivelent M (APSC mirrorless Canon) should be out pretty soon and is supposed to be a huge upgrade. The R mount stuff is also nice even though the 4k video is fairly limited.

If I were having to use stuff for work and didn't need massively small DOF i'd be tempted by a Sony RX10 or Panasonic 2500 though. Those 1" sensor cameras with 4k really can do it all.