Canon T4i DSLR Camera

jayt101

Jun 16, 2011
Hi All,

I recently purchased the Canon T4i. I am using it for mostly pictures but there the odd time where I would like to use it for video recording since its capable of recording in 1080p. The problem I was having last night was with the auto focus. It focuses automatically on objects but the mic is able to pick up all the noise coming from the tiny motors used for focusing. I'm sure Canon didn't design the camera to pick up all the noise coming from the motors? I read some reviews saying that its suppose to be silent. What am I doing wrong? Can anyone help?

Thanks!

jayt101

Jun 16, 2011
All,

Apparently this noise is normal. According to the manual:

"Note that the camera may record the lens operation noise. To reduce the recording of the lens operation noise, use a commercially-available external microphone. Using the EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens will minimize the focusing noise during movie shooting. "

swanysto

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
Yeah, unfortunately that is an issue with all the cameras. Most people will recommend you get an off camera microphone. I don't use it enough to buy one, I try to focus at the very beginning and then use my legs to keep it in focus. But I only really have used it to record a baby playing or cats being goofy.

happysmiles

May 1, 2012
Manual Focus.

Start now, no point arguing because AF during video is ridiculous anyway.

my 50mm AF is broken so I had to learn MF, probably took two months to nail it

elitejp

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2010
^I cant say that im a videographer however from what ive read hollywood films use manual focus when filming and if your using a dslr you should learn to do the same. External mics and recorder is where its at. Video with bad sound is just unbearable and sound is considered more important than the video aspect.

SecurityTheatre

Aug 14, 2011
Autofocus on SLR cameras during video is, as already said, completely horrible.

Even if you happen to have a 5dMk3, the autofocus is still abysmal.

I suggest pre-focusing with the viewfinder, or buying a hotshoe-mounted shotgun mic.

jayt101

Jun 16, 2011
Not sure how the Manual Focus works but I will try playing around with it! I'm a complete DSLR Noob as this is my first camera and I thought the AF mode would be amazing. Unfortunately when moving the camera around it, the lens is constantly trying to focus and the noise that follows is always picked up by the mic. Looks like I have some learning to do!