Canon Normal EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Autofocus Lens - Beginner issue.

Discussion in 'Digital and Video Cameras' started by Coldkilla, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Coldkilla

Coldkilla Diamond Member

Hello Anandtech once more,

I am extremely new to photography so if you could bare with me. I purchased a Canon T2i and a Canon Normal EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Autofocus Lens. I had a fair amount of time to learn how the stock lens worked on the camera so I figured the change wouldn't be too drastic (operational wise that is)...

I put the new lens on, switched the camera to manual mode and flipped the switch on the lens itself from MF to AF. Taking from what I learned about my previous lens, I held the shutter button half-pressed and to my surprise the lens does not auto-focus. Is this normal? I also tried changing it in the menu settings and it would not let me.

Any thoughts for this new photographer? Thanks!

Ps: An aside issue: Also, the Aperture is F0.0 and I cannot change it.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Canon Normal 50mm Forum Date
    Canon FL 55mm F1.2 OR Nikkor 55mm F1.2? Digital and Video Cameras May 25, 2016
    Canon 7Dii doesn't let you use a flash when shooting video?? Digital and Video Cameras Apr 15, 2016
    Help - Sony PMW-200 OR Canon XA25 for Sdi over fiber applications Digital and Video Cameras Apr 14, 2016
    For those familar with the Canon G7X Digital and Video Cameras Mar 16, 2016
    Is this normal on a lens? Digital and Video Cameras Dec 9, 2011

3. Madwand1

Madwand1 Diamond Member

No, this is not normal, and you shouldn't have had to switch it to AF from MF -- it should have come as AF as the normal default (of course someone might have bought and returned it though). Try taking off the lens, maybe cleaning the lens contacts, powering down, etc. If that doesn't work, maybe the lens is defective.

4. angry hampster

angry hampster Diamond Member

Lens is defective or the cam is not reading it properly if aperture is showing 0.

5. Coldkilla

Coldkilla Diamond Member

omg... I have a feeling its my camera. The other lens won't focus now ether. I don't know what happened!!! It was working fine last week... and of course I'm one month out of warranty. It was never dropped or mishandled that I know of.. it'll probably cost me hundreds to fix too no doubt..

It took writing this thread to try the old lens again. Usually I operate in Manual focus but for the purposes of my next project it needed auto-focus.

Thanks guys.

Edit: Automated/estimated repair cost is $204. Joy... Any idea if theres another place that might give me a better quote? It's just this one thing thats broke... ugh

#4 Coldkilla, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  6. iGas

iGas Diamond Member

Revert the camera to default settings (man page 144).

AE lock (man page 195).

7. bobdole369

bobdole369 Diamond Member

Nods its entirely possibly you changed the default autofocus setting from half-press to another key. I use the AE lock button on the back for AF and half press for exposure lock.

8. angry hampster

This would not explain the 0.0 aperture reading.

OP, clean the contacts on your camera's lens mount with sensor cleaning fluid.

9. corkyg

corkyg Elite Member<br>Super Moderator <br>Peripherals
    Super Moderator

Try "P" mode on the camera and AF on the lens.

10. elitejp

elitejp Golden Member

I second the suggestion of cleaning the contacts, nine times out of ten this will solve the problem.

11. angry hampster

What good will this do if the camera read the lens? Before touching any buttons on the camera, the contacts need to be cleaned.

12. corkyg

Super Moderator

No doubt. I assumed that would be done. P mode is the basic auto mode that allows manual adjustments.

13. corkyg

Super Moderator

No doubt. I assumed that would be done. P mode is the basic semi-auto mode that allows manual adjustments.

14. RobDickinson

RobDickinson Senior member

The canon 50/1.4 is notoriously frail , was this bought used?

15. Coldkilla

Coldkilla Diamond Member

The 18-55mm doesn't auto focus ether. The 50/1.4 is brand new. I've called Canon Support and they had me do a complete factory reset on the camera - which turned up nothing. Sensor cleaning is next on the agenda once I get some fluid that can do that.

16. corkyg

Super Moderator

If the camera is fairly new, the sensor should not need cleaning.

17. angry hampster

Have you cleaned the contacts like we've suggested several times? Dirty sensor is irrelevant.

18. Coldkilla

Coldkilla Diamond Member

I have checked it a number of times as suggested here. I called a local repair shop and they said the $200 is to be expected for my type of camera. Canon has now quoted the repair to be $215 and I guess I will have to fork it over..

19. radhak

radhak Senior member

Coldkilla,

I think you might be missing the great advice given above : clean the contacts on the lens first : these are the points on the lens that come in contact with the camera body - the metallic rim on the back of the lens and also the front of the camera, and used to convey electronic information from camera to lens and back. This you can do yourself.

Cleaning the sensor is a bigger job, do not try it yourself! (you might not need to get it done at all!).

And looks like your camera contacts might need cleaning too.

I have Nikon, but ran into this last year, and used a pencil eraser to clean the contacts on both camera and lens (verrry carefully, not to allow anything fall into the camera), and it's functioning great ever since!

You could see detailed advice on the net, and follow closely. It might save you that repair cost.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6722254_clean-contacts-slr-rebel-camera.html gives for one specific camera but applies to all.

20. bobdole369

bobdole369 Diamond Member

Yup, didn't realize he had a 0.0

OP clean your contacts. I had a lens that I dropped (shitty f/5.6 70-300 zoom) in mud it would occasionally give the 0.0 on aperture. it means the lens cannot be read. Clean the contacts.

21. Coldkilla

Coldkilla Diamond Member

I cleaned each contact carefully using a microfiber cloth with a dab of alcohol a few times over the course of a day, and switched with different batterys. No change.

I also called Canon back and tried to explore another alternative, instead I got quoted 50% less for labor costs. The repair was only $115 (with shipping). I went ahead and did it. I appreciate the comments here y'all and thanks for everything.

#20 Coldkilla, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  22. Silenus

Silenus Senior member

Hey $115 is really not bad at all! Glad you got a deal on it. Let us know how it goes when you get it back. You will love the prime I'm sure!