Canon EOS Digital Rebel Kit 6.3MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S18-55mm Lens - $899.10 @ OneCall

bradolson

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
www.gottadeal.com
OneCall has the Canon EOS Digital Rebel Kit 6.3 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera with EF-S18-55mm Lens for a $899.10 plus around $19 shipping.

Shows as being in stock. Pretty nice deal considering OneCall is a more reliable retailer compared to some places that have "deals" on the Rebel.

"The Canon EOS Digital Rebel brings advanced digital performance and SLR controls to everyday photographers. Whether you're new to digital cameras, SLR cameras, or even photography itself, you'll find that the EOS Digital Rebel is powerful, yet fun and easy to use. It features a 6.3-megapixel sensor, automatic and manual controls, and compatibility with Canon's range of EF lenses."

WA261

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
I jsut purchased one of theses cams. IT is AMAZING! The pictue quality will blow you away. Same quality as the 10D

vroom1810

Nov 10, 2003
I've been thinking about getting one of these for my dad since he's mentioned it several times. Does anyone know if this would be the best deal online like the poster says (thanks, bradolson!). I've got a Canon camera he gave me that he had from back in the 80's. It was a really good camera for then. I believe it's the F1. Would lenses for it fit the Rebel? Thanks for any input on the best place to purchase the Rebel that has the best deal! Robert

Edit: Just checked out Onecall. Am i looking in the right place for the right camera? I see it for $999. thanks

Devistater

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2001
I'm going to dig up some review links.
Two GREAT review sites and reviews on this:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/300d.html
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/
Everything you wanted to know and more. Pics of like every possible menu choice and pics with lenses off and everthing. It takes incredible shots, look at this NIGHT pic (scroll it its huge):
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS300D/Samples/Night/IMG_5906.jpg

Dont forget to get a 4 gig hitachi microdrive CF for this baby, buy a muvo2 creative mp3 player for $200 and yank the microdrive out :)

Those 2 reviews sites are incredable. I wish some computer hardware review sites would put that kinda effort into a review. Some quotes from the steves review:
Another feature of the info-playback thumbnail is that it will "blink" the area of the image that it deems will be overexposed. You can use this as a visual warning that you might need to adjust exposure compensation and re-shoot the picture.
This is a capture-priority camera meaning that when you are in review mode all you need do is tap the shutter release to return to capture mode. Going from review to capture in this manner requires less than a second. It only takes 1-1.5 seconds to bring up the playback image after pressing the review button and scrolling from image to image is nearly instantaneous. The average shot to shot time with Large/Fine JPEG quality is about a half a second until you fill the buffer with four frames.
The EF-S 18-55m lens' average shutter lag to full autofocus time (in normal lighting conditions) was consistently about 1/4 of a second. The shutter lag with the camera pre-focused was about 1/10 of a second.
The RemoteCapture program allows you to operate the camera while tethered to a computer via the USB cable. The Remote Capture program is capable of interval (5 secs. to 60 mins. in 1-second increments) and timer (5 secs. to 60 mins. in 1-second increments) recording as well as instantaneous. Images can be stored on the camera's CF card or sent directly to the computer's hard drive. This screen comes up after taking a picture and has a visual review image, histogram and exposure information.
Some of the dozen or more camera modes:
Portrait - Sharp subject with blurred background
Tv - Shutter priority; you select shutter speed (1/4000 to 30 seconds), camera matches appropriate aperture
Av - Aperture priority; you select aperture, camera matches appropriate shutter speed

Sorry if I am too exited about this. I just TODAY a couple hours ago found this camera and was reading those incredible reviews.

BTW, if you are looking for a deal on this make SURE that the one you buy has the lens and is not just the camera body. There's some decent lens that it comes with and you can't even order it only get it when you buy THIS particular camera (apparently the lens is only decent if you are spending around $100 for the lens. If you are a pro you'll be wanting to spend more and get a better lens). The camera without the lens is typically $100 or so less. Key term to look for "camera body" if it says that and doesn't say includes lens, it probably doesn't. I dont know much about photography so read the reviews for more info on everything including the lens details.

Here's a site that seems to have it for $928 (note: whoops I had the one without lens, doh. Gotta watch that, fixed now). Dont know anything about the retailer though:
http://www.inoax.com/viewitem.php?IndexID=5343

Devistater

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2001
Originally posted by: WA261
only EF lens will fit.
There's a gazillion of those. And I thikn it fits EF-S or something too
Edit yep, from specs:
Canon EF including EF-S lenses

Originally posted by: vroom1810

Edit: Just checked out Onecall. Am i looking in the right place for the right camera? I see it for $999. thanks
Yep, see my above past for info on this. I just checked them, they have both versions $100 difference.

vroom1810

Nov 10, 2003
Anyone have a link for this camera/kit for $899? I can only find it for $999 at Onecall. thanks, Robert

discopalace

Feb 26, 2000
I have the 35mm Rebel 2000. Been thinking of getting a digital but haven't done it yet. Hmm, maybe tomorrow....

Anyways, the 35mm Rebel comes with a standard kit which includes a 28-80mm EF lens. It is very mediocore. I have read numerous reviews saying NOT to get the 28-80 EF kit for the 35mm camera. When I bought mine originally, I got the kit lens. After a few months, I discarded it. Now it sits in some drawer somewhere.

The 18-55mm EF-S lens that comes with the digital kit is supposed to be similar to the 28-80 EF lens. So my initial bias is "look out" - just like in the 35mm case. The review above says the EF-S turned out "surprisingly good" - but it is with respect to being a $100 consumer-quality lens. It's still made of plastic, and the f3.5-5.6 is slow for its zoom range. If you are new to it all, you just might be fine. But if you intend to get more serious, you might want to consider alternative, inexpensive lenses:
- Canon 50mm f1.8 prime - great lens, only like $70
- Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 - $325
- Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 - $400

There are lots of photo forums out there. Read up carefully!

Also, there are lots of shady camera dealers. Beware of really cheap prices! There are places that will try to swindle you into buying something you didn't want to buy.

Here's another FAQ site:
http://www.marius.org/eos300dfaq.php

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
I believe buy.com has the Digital Rebel w/ lens for $904 after $15 coupon plus $9.34 shipping to MI. However, they are on order. :(

tallman45

Golden Member
May 27, 2003
The new Nikon D70 is about the same price and is reported to be a step up from the digital rebel. That is likely helping to drive down the price of the rebel.

may

Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: tallman45
The new Nikon D70 is about the same price and is reported to be a step up from the digital rebel. That is likely helping to drive down the price of the rebel.

about the same price? probably not.

diehlr

Dec 29, 2000
My neighbor had a Canon A70 and just bought the Digital Rebel. She uses a Canon i960 to print color photos. You wouldn't believe the difference the Digital Rebel makes in the prints as opposed to the A70. The clarity is incredible.

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
:|
They still don't have Canon MKII. I want to ge one!!!!

Anyway, D_Rebel is OK for most, but people don't forget about a decent lens!!! All lenses below $200 are pure cr@p.

tallman45

Golden Member
May 27, 2003
Originally posted by: may

I may be mistaken but I thought that the MSRP of the D70 was $999 and the Canon was $899 w/o lens kit. That would make them about the same price, no ?

John P

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
All lenses below $200 are pure cr@p.

True in a sense, but not gospel. The Canon 50mm F1.8 is a great lens for the price - the poor mans way to get decent indoor sports pictures without shelling out big bucks for a decent f2.8 zoom IS lens (which I will be doing next year). I got some great shots of my kids basketball games in dimly lit elementary school gymnasiums with the Canon 50mm and my digital rebel. The trick is to find it in stock somewhere. I got one from JandR.com and one for a friend from Etronics.com (forgot to cancel my backorder, hehe).

may

Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: may
Originally posted by: tallman45 The new Nikon D70 is about the same price and is reported to be a step up from the digital rebel. That is likely helping to drive down the price of the rebel.
I may be mistaken but I thought that the MSRP of the D70 was $999 and the Canon was $899 w/o lens kit. That would make them about the same price, no ?

MSRP is $1300

discopalace

Feb 26, 2000
Damn... this post got me thinking about it... and then I went to buy one!!! I HATE THIS FORUM!!!!! :)

My impulses were really getting to me, so I didn't look for the best deal. Ended up getting it at CC for $999 (twas the kit) - plus the protection plan. Actually I found that it's OOS at many places. BB didn't have it, neither did Fry's, neither did the local camera store.

The kit came with the EF-S lens. I put it aside, however, and used the Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 USM lens (I also have the 50mm f1.8 above) to go on a little photo day trip to Monterey CA to try it out. The camera was very usable, quite similar to my 35mm Canon Rebel 2000. I also have the Canon S400. Good things to compare against :) Here are some quick notes:
- Feels quite sturdy.
- Shoots more quietly than my 35mm. Not important, but it was noticable.
- It took pictures very quickly. You can take many pictures in sequence. There is a little lag writing to disk, even with my Sandisk UltraII CF card, but the delay did not prevent you from taking pics (seems like it queues up).
- Charging the battery only took 30mins.
- The viewscreen was quite useful for checking out pictures afterwards, but one difference from point-and-shoot digital cameras is that you don't use the viewscreen for shooting pics; you still use the eyepiece.
- The image quality when uploaded to my computer appears quite good. I still haven't tried printing to an 8x11 or larger, so I'm not sold it beats out film. But for smaller prints or for the internet, it'll be fine.
- The software is the same software as the other Canon digital cameras.

Here are few features that I really noticed after trying it. They are all apparent in the marketing material, but they really stood out when I used the camera.
- You can set your ISO speed on the fly. No more waiting for the roll to run out before switching from 100 speed film to 400 speed!
- You can save pics as JPG (default) or JPG+RAW. RAW is for really serious pics. If I'm sending it to a lab for a large print, I'm taking the pic as RAW format. JPGs lose a little quality because of the compression. You won't see this in normal digital cameras.

Still... now I wish I had some more fancy lenses... and more skillz!! :)

bentwookie

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2002
Originally posted by: discopalace
Damn... this post got me thinking about it... and then I went to buy one!!! I HATE THIS FORUM!!!!! :)

My impulses were really getting to me, so I didn't look for the best deal. Ended up getting it at CC for $999 (twas the kit) - plus the protection plan. Actually I found that it's OOS at many places. BB didn't have it, neither did Fry's, neither did the local camera store.

The kit came with the EF-S lens. I put it aside, however, and used the Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 USM lens (I also have the 50mm f1.8 above) to go on a little photo day trip to Monterey CA to try it out. The camera was very usable, quite similar to my 35mm Canon Rebel 2000. I also have the Canon S400. Good things to compare against :) Here are some quick notes:
- Feels quite sturdy.
- Shoots more quietly than my 35mm. Not important, but it was noticable.
- It took pictures very quickly. You can take many pictures in sequence. There is a little lag writing to disk, even with my Sandisk UltraII CF card, but the delay did not prevent you from taking pics (seems like it queues up).
- Charging the battery only took 30mins.
- The viewscreen was quite useful for checking out pictures afterwards, but one difference from point-and-shoot digital cameras is that you don't use the viewscreen for shooting pics; you still use the eyepiece.
- The image quality when uploaded to my computer appears quite good. I still haven't tried printing to an 8x11 or larger, so I'm not sold it beats out film. But for smaller prints or for the internet, it'll be fine.
- The software is the same software as the other Canon digital cameras.

Here are few features that I really noticed after trying it. They are all apparent in the marketing material, but they really stood out when I used the camera.
- You can set your ISO speed on the fly. No more waiting for the roll to run out before switching from 100 speed film to 400 speed!
- You can save pics as JPG (default) or JPG+RAW. RAW is for really serious pics. If I'm sending it to a lab for a large print, I'm taking the pic as RAW format. JPGs lose a little quality because of the compression. You won't see this in normal digital cameras.

Still... now I wish I had some more fancy lenses... and more skillz!! :)

yeah this one is making me wanna sell off my other cameras..I have a regular canon rebel with an extra 300 tele lense..that would be the main reason I would buy this. Plus the sample pics I've seen are amazing.
post some pics when you get around to it...
one question, this doesn't allow you to keep the lcd on when taking pics?

wallsfd949

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2003
Originally posted by: bentwookie
one question, this doesn't allow you to keep the lcd on when taking pics?

No, it uses a pentamirror (correct me if I'm wrong) to reflect the image to the sensor. It's not that bad once you get used to it or if you've ever used an SLR camera much. The LCD is just for making sure no one blinked IMO.

**Note, I don't personally own one, but I use a friends DR more than he does!

Alternex

Oct 9, 1999
I've had this camera since it came out and I absolutely love it! The kit lens is actually pretty good. I have the 50mm 1.8 that everyone raves about but I hardly ever use it since I prefer wider angle plus zoom.

Here's some pics I snapped last weekend

wolf stance
ice path
smiling
closeup

Devistater

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Alternex
I've had this camera since it came out and I absolutely love it! The kit lens is actually pretty good. I have the 50mm 1.8 that everyone raves about but I hardly ever use it since I prefer wider angle plus zoom.

wolf stance
ice path
smiling
closeup

SWEET pics. I love the first one, your dog? looks exactly like a wolf. In fact I think it was until I saw the other pics :)

bentwookie

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Alternex

wolf stance
ice path
smiling
closeup

damn it, if one more person post pics, I going to buy this camera.