Canon dslr video lenses?

Ajelvani

Aug 5, 2015
I have a canon 60d. From what I'm aware of, the 60d cannot autofocus continuously while taking a video regardless of the lense? What I mean by this is that it can't autofocus like a camcorder would or even some other dslrs I've seen such as the t5i. Also, I currently have the kit telephoto lense that has a stabilizer on it. I'm wondering what would be the best lense for video? Like do any lenses have superior stabilization that's meant for video?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Even in a modern hi-tech electronic lens, the auto-focus is still very limited by the cameras capabilities.

As seen on Youtube, while it is possible it is also not recommended.

Seems to me if you really need good quality movies, you are going to want a proper camcorder.

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
True. Are there any canon eos lenses that have better stabilizers than others?

Not really. Stabilization isn't even an issue for AF. For AF, you're limited to the camera's performance. All the Canon camers (Rebel T2i->T5i, 60D, 5D, 6D) all suffer from the same AF performance for video recording: they all use CDAF (Contrast Detection AF). Most evident in low-light situations, where it has to bump up the lighting to AF (see video). No lens will be able to fix this. The only thing a lens can do is be more quite (STM lenses) while using Continuous AF.

Now the 1st Canon DSLR that can AF properly, using PDAF (Phase Detection AF) is the 70D. Not sure if the 7D2 or T6i can do it as well.

CDAF (low light in-doors): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVyXtSX5hic

PDAF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYOLwmxgljk

NAC

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2000
Stabilization has improved a bit over the years. For example, I know the original 100-400 canon lens had stabilization good only for about a stop or two, and the new mark II version is good for 3-4 stops of stabilization. But basically, I believe that any newer lenses will have similar stabilization. So for a 60D - all of the STM lenses are pretty new, are terrific, are priced right, and all which have stabilization should all have stabilization about as good as any other new lens.

Also, the wider you shoot, the less stabilization is needed or important. I would recommend against hand holding when making video at a telephoto range. You don't need a tripod, but rest the camera on something, brace yourself as much as you can. If you are shooting at 28mm equivalent, that doesn't matter nearly as much as at 80mm equivalent.

Also, the best camcorders, like the Sony BOSS camcorders, have far superior stabilization to any in lens stabilization. Or you could consider getting a handheld gimbal, but they are pricey and probably cumbersome.

Last note: Yes, your 60d cannot track focus during video. You can try to manually focus if you want. A camcorder is the only reliable way to track focus of subjects. The 70D is pretty good, but probably not as good at a camcorder for focus tracking.

NAC

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2000
I should add - even a camcorder doesn't always track focus perfectly. At least, not the ones I've used.