Canon DSLR owners please chime in ... Battery or charger problem?

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
I've owned a Canon T3i for a year now and have had no problems with the camera to-date. Yesterday I removed the battery (model LP-E8) and inserted it into the charger that came with the camera (model LC-E8E). Unfortunately, the charger will not charge the battery. The amber "charge" light comes on solidly and then starts blinking about 10 seconds later. I had the battery on the charger overnight without success.

I have done some research and found that some owners had the same problem. They simply removed the battery from the charger (unplugged) and then later re-plugged in the unit and inserted the battery. This has not worked for me.

The Canon manual and website are virtually useless in trying to figure out this issue as neither has info about this behavior. The question is what going on here? Do I need a new battery, a new charger ... or both?

My T3i and I thank you for reading ...

Last edited:

Syborg1211

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2000
Unfortunately, I don't think you'll know for sure until you try replacing one of the two. I think your best bet is to purchase another battery. If it turns out that the charger is the problem, a second battery is always nice to have, whereas a second charger is meh to have if the problem is the battery.

There should be multiple Canon models that use the same battery. You could find a friend with a Canon dslr who could lend you either or both of their battery and charger for a day to figure out the problem.

Another option is to go to a local camera store with the battery and charger and ask if they can help you out.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
That is the classic symptoms of a battery that has been left discharged too long. Li-ion batteries loose charge as they sit, which is normal. The battery is designed to shut down with enough energy left for the charger to recognize and charge it. If it's left too long it discharges lower than it was designed for and the charger won't recognize it.

The battery might technically be chargeable, but the "smart" charger says no. Some folks have had success restoring "dead" li-ion batteries like THIS GUY. The idea is to use a "dumb" charger of some kind to put a enough trickle charge into the battery for the normal charger to recognize it.

I had the same thing happen to me with an extra battery I borrowed from a friend. He'd let it sit too long and it would no longer charge. Always charge your batteries before storing them, or anytime you won't use the camera for awhile.

Last edited:

Ricky Spanish

May 20, 2013
I would try to find someone with the same charger and see what happens before spending money blindly.

Not sure where you're located but if in the twin cities metro I have a t3i charger you can try.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
I would try to find someone with the same charger and see what happens before spending money blindly.

Not sure where you're located but if in the twin cities metro I have a t3i charger you can try.

Thank you Gate KeePer and Paladin3 for your feedback. I had left the battery uncharged for a while and unfortunately I am a LONG way away from Minn/St. Paul. Based upon the unexpectedly little info available on the Internet related to this issue ... and your helpful advice I've decided to go the path of least resistance and purchase inexpensive replacements for both battery and charger from a third party, perhaps from eBay or Amazon.

Thanks all ...