Canon 10d owners

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
A friend of mine bought one and he said that when he tries to download the pictures from his cf card in the camera using Windows' camera and scanner software with the WIA Canon driver installed, it always hangs at the very last picture. No matter what he does. Any ideas? Could it be bad camera or do you think the Canon driver itself is kinda crappy?

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
I work with 2x EOS-1D's and I no longer use canon software.

I move the images onto my HDD using windows explorer (copy paste or drag+drop)

Once thats done, I use a program called "Capture One (DSLR)" to edit and convert.

We haven't used the WIA drivers in ages. Its an OK program, but not good for big jobs. And we were having troubles with it.

A better way (without buying capture one, which is expensive) is to windows explorer them onto your Harddrive, and then use Canon Raw Image Converter X.X to process them into jpegs or whatever you are using. Its free, and more stable than the canon drivers that attempt to interface with the camera.

And how does he like the 10D? I was under the impression that it wasn't that great. We tried one for a while, but it isn't really professional grade (1D has better focusing, rapid fire, and just take better pictures). I thought canon was discontinuing it and pushing the rebel instead, which from what I have seen is a very good camera.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
How does he use explorer without having some type of driver installed so Windows can see the camera?

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
How does he use explorer without having some type of driver installed so Windows can see the camera?

erm, with our system (xppro, pentium 4 xeon, etc.) we just connect the firewire, open my computer, and the camera shows up like a drive. You just open that and drag+dropor cntrl-V +cntrl-C.