Cannot see new hard drive in "my computer"

bazookajoe

Mar 8, 2000
Hi,

I installed a seagate 160 GB hd into my pc. Used cable select, the mb is abit be7-R. I used the included cd to install/partition the hd but no go. I then went into control panel/admin/computer management/disk management. But the drive is not here either.

I find it strange that only device manager sees the hd. DM also says that the hd is working properly. Uh huh. Any ideas?

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
try not using cable select. i've had more issues than i care to talk about with it in the past. jumper your drives for master & slave.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
I have the same problem. It shows up in Bios and device manager but not in my computer.

[useless conjecture] Once I saw something about only having 4 ide drives with window or my mobo or something like that, and I have 2 disk drives, and a HD partitioned into 2 before this. On top of that I can get external and SATA drives to show up. [/useless conjecture]

biscuitboy

Jan 29, 2004
what OS and service pack?
there is a limit on earlier builds, like 130gb
you've checked Disk Manager and all that, make sure HD is assigned a letter and formatted

bazookajoe

Mar 8, 2000
xp pro
version 2002
service pack 1, v.1568

I wish I could see the drive under disk managent. I would format it right there. All other hds and optical drives are present.

biscuitboy

Jan 29, 2004
get your XP CD, boot into this and if you can see drive, format within there, restart PC when after NTFS format and files start copying
worth trying
everything set to Auto in BIOS?

bazookajoe

Mar 8, 2000
I'll try the xp cd method. I don't have another pc to test the drive. Could the drive be bad even though device manager says its ok?

mauiblue

Aug 8, 2004
The drive needs to be formatted that's why XP cannot see it in explorer. See if you could use the software that the drive came with (that is if it's not OEM). You could also FDISK. For me, I used Partition Magic.

Good luck.

biscuitboy

Jan 29, 2004
unusual for HD to be bad if DM can see it
some drive manufacturers include a drive utility that checks the integrity of the drive
if you think its duff, go to website and take a look
there also maybe a support site where people have had similar issues

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
Originally posted by: mauiblue
The drive needs to be formatted that's why XP cannot see it in explorer. See if you could use the software that the drive came with (that is if it's not OEM). You could also FDISK. For me, I used Partition Magic.

Good luck.

he already did that.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
is that a raid board? is something setup in the bios for raid that needs to be turned off perhaps? the bios might be telling windows it's part of the 1st drive (IE, a raid array) when it's really not.

bazookajoe

Mar 8, 2000
Ok. I tried the xp boot thing. But I could not see the seagate. So then, contrary to included directions, I booted up with the included cd. It gave me a few warnings about using windows, not dos, to configure the new drive. Moving on, the dos manager did the format and now disk management in xp can see the hd. This is the first time I have not used a floppy disk to setup a hd(maxtor/wd). So a learning experience for me and maybe some insight for the rest of you. Miketheidiot, I hope this helps you in some way.

Thanks to all of you for your time and help.
Cheers

bazookajoe

Mar 8, 2000
Fisher, yes it is a raid board. But I just use it for extra drives. I didn't mess with the bios so things are probably set up ok.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
Originally posted by: bazookajoe
Fisher, yes it is a raid board. But I just use it for extra drives. I didn't mess with the bios so things are probably set up ok.

*nod* weird stuff, i've never seen that before. figured maybe the bios wasn't letting your 2nd drive work right, but i guess that wasn't it. glad you got it fixed up tho.