Question ** Cannot Install Windows 10 2004 Version Update **

ttechf

Jun 11, 2012
Hi, no matter what I do I cannot install Windows 10 2004 version update. It gets to around 74% and fails. I have tried updating my BIOS, updating Windows with everything else but that, doing some command prompts, and some other things. Not sure if anyone else is having this issue but my computer should definitely NOT be the issue. The error code I get is - 0xc1420121

All it says is try again a different time. I really can't afford to do a fresh install.

Any suggestions would help. Thanks!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
How are you installing it? From Windows Update? Or from a USB / DVD created using MS Media Creation Tool?

If from Windows Update, I think around 74% is when it creates the ISO behind-the-scenes, so possibly your system:
1) Doesn't have enough space on the drive, or
2) Is overclocked or otherwise unstable, for large moving / decrypting / checksumming of data.

If from MCT USB, then I'm not sure, check for disk corruption on your drive.

Can you successfully create a USB install stick using MCT instead? Or does that fail too?

ttechf

Jun 11, 2012
How are you installing it? From Windows Update? Or from a USB / DVD created using MS Media Creation Tool?

If from Windows Update, I think around 74% is when it creates the ISO behind-the-scenes, so possibly your system:
1) Doesn't have enough space on the drive, or
2) Is overclocked or otherwise unstable, for large moving / decrypting / checksumming of data.

If from MCT USB, then I'm not sure, check for disk corruption on your drive.

Can you successfully create a USB install stick using MCT instead? Or does that fail too?

Hey, I have tried from Windows update on Windows. I have tried from the Media Creation Tool. I'm not sure why it would be my system since this is a new computer. My computer is overclocked but I could try to remove the overclock to let the update happen? I have no risk corruption. I have not tried to create a USB install stick yet. Thanks.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
I have the same issue .
This system is mainstream parts, off the shelf .Never had an issue with any previous upgrade to and including ver 1909 . But the latest will not install.
The files download, "installing" takes its usual 20 minutes and the system reboots, (but sometimes not), yet once back to the desktop, windows 10 ver 1909 remains the OS. The error is described in Settings as " We could not install the upgrade but you can try again if you like. Error 0xc0000005." I have, many times, using the upgrade method in Settings and the iso file from windows download.

It appears that not many users have this particular problem although the upgrade has created issues once installed. I spent Sunday afternoon with an MS Tier 3 technician to no avail--We did everything he could think of including a few "out there" ideas, like updating the bios, but in the end he took all the logs, will go over them with his team and come back later . I wonder if the next Tier includes Bill Gates ?

The one useful item coming out of this, besides the new bios, is the method of installing of which I was unaware. The upgrade does not install automatically. It only installs if the user hits the " Download and Install" button. The system will continue just as well without it. Which is what I see as the future for this system until the next Feature Update comes along.

Last edited:

ttechf

Jun 11, 2012
If they come back to you with a solution, perhaps you can tell it here. My worry is that sure, I can "skip" this version and not download it and wait for it to be fixed or the next update but this update may be required in order to install the next one after it. Time will tell I guess. Thanks!

ttechf

Jun 11, 2012
Prior to version 358? I just checked my Nvidia GeForce drivers, the latest update I can get is 446.14. Doesn't seem to be an issue.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
My computer is overclocked but I could try to remove the overclock to let the update happen?
Well... about that... maybe you shouldn't install an OS if your PC is overclocked. (Yes, I've done it before, to test a mild / stable OC... but I'm a bit of a Pro at this stuff. I wouldn't especially recommend that for most people. You probably already know if you're an exception to this rule.)

ttechf

Jun 11, 2012
I just want this solved. I've called Microsoft and they couldn't figure it out which is beyond me because it's their system and errors. I just really don't want to have to wipe my drive and re-install Windows.

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
I just want this solved. I've called Microsoft and they couldn't figure it out which is beyond me because it's their system and errors. I just really don't want to have to wipe my drive and re-install Windows.
Bite the bullet and just do it

ttechf

Jun 11, 2012
I may have to but I know there's programs out there that will transfer your installed programs to a new hard drive. I just don't want to pay $50 for them if there's a free one out there.

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
The best way to achieve the results you seek is to
clean the drive with diskpart
Disconnect from the net
Install Windowze
Reboot
Install the latest drivers for cpu and chipset
Reboot
Install drivers for storage devices
Reboot
Install latest video drivers
Reboot
Reconnect to the net
Install programs and any saved docs and pix

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
What I would do to perform Win 10 in-place install to maintain all your current Files, Apps. and setting.

BTW. Unlike previous versions of Windows, Win 10 Major Upgrade like this One actually replaces the Core Win 10 OS installation (the old version goes to the hidden Windows old Folder). Thus the outcome is very close to Clean Install. If One is Not an Avid computer “Soiler” there e is No reason to do twice a year Total Clean Install.

Buy a spare SSD and use to Clone App to clone the current Functional Drive (Example: Macrium Reflect 7, Acronis True Image).

Run a cleaning program like cCleaner, make sure that you configure it not to delete what you need. Run also the Registry Clean part.

Then, Run Win native Disk Cleanup (check after opening to CleanUp System Files).

When done, Clone and keep safe the Cloned backup.

After the Cleaning check the empty space on Drive C: , If it is 28 GB (or more) you are good to go.
If it less, you need to obtain a 32GB USB and plug it empty and formatted to NTFS to the computer.

Make sure that you have also a 16 GB USB

Log to Microsoft and get the media Tool. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Close your Browser or whatever else is Open.

Make sure that the BIOS of the computer are set to prime boot from C:
During the Setup of the New Update the computer self-Reboot few times. If the BIOS set to Boot from something else it might disturb the Update process.

Plug in the 16GB USB Drive, Start the media Tool and built a Bootable USB fat all version of Win 10.
When done Do not boot just find the Drive that the 18GB USB is in and start the setup.

:cool:

P.S. The above process might cost some money but it would serve you for the coming years too.