cannot install Lubuntu on laptop

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
i downloaded the ISO. wrote the ISO onto SSD using BalenaEtcher. when laptop boots up, i see option to Start Lubuntu so i pressed Enter.
on the desktop, i see Install Lubuntu..... wait, so Lubuntu was not installed at all? as if i was using a trial from a USB stick? so i clicked on Install and it refuses to install because of no available partition.
i also wrote the ISO onto a USB stick using Rufus. but for whatever reason, my HP laptop refuses to boot from USB even though i set USB as the first boot option.
is there an OS iso that i can write to SSD to start using as if everything was installed and ready to go? because with my BalenaEtcher method, every time it boots up, i have to configure my wifi and start from scratch....

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
A lot of distros boot up as a live environment so you can test it a bit and see if you want to proceed. I think what might be happening is that either your storage drive is not being detected, or the OS sees existing partitions and the default is not to mess with them. You could try to open GSmartControl to see if your drive is recognized by the OS.

I use Linux Mint as OS and Rufus to write isos to USB, so I won't be a lot of help with the specific software you are using.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'm unaware of any distro that'll do exactly what you're asking. It may exist. but I don't know of it. One avenue to explore would be partitioning your drive, and making a small partition to write the iso to, and maybe you can install on the rest? Dunno. Better would be figuring out why your machine won't boot to usb. It should. Explore bios for relevant settings, and/or try a different usb stick and/or port.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I'm unaware of any distro that'll do exactly what you're asking. It may exist. but I don't know of it. One avenue to explore would be partitioning your drive, and making a small partition to write the iso to, and maybe you can install on the rest? Dunno. Better would be figuring out why your machine won't boot to usb. It should. Explore bios for relevant settings, and/or try a different usb stick and/or port.
the raspbian OS is the only OS i know that will work. but you are right, no other OS for other hardware for some reason.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
ok. happy to say i got it working now. was finally able to boot from USB. i had to hit F9 on the HP laptop to reset everything to default in the bios. never had to do that before. must be some crazy settings i overlooked....

Reactions: lxskllr

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
How old is the HP laptop and what are the specs? Maybe secure boot was enabled. Anyway, it sounds like you did get Lubuntu installed, so that is good.

wcbutler

Apr 19, 2022
is there an OS iso that i can write to SSD to start using as if everything was installed and ready to go? because with my BalenaEtcher method, every time it boots up, i have to configure my wifi and start from scratch....

The install process should write to your SSD and do what you're asking. There is also a way you can set persistance on a USB drive where its still a live flash drive but it can save data onto it.

*buntu are pretty good at having the installer set up the grub bootloader (unlike the work you have to do for Arch). Possibly you still had the live USB inserted and higher in the boot order to where it booted again from the live USB.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
The newer installation routines (for Mint, anyway) explicitly ask for the installation media to be removed, rebooting to the live environment must have been a common issue.