Cannot Find 3000-Series Cards; Get a 2000-series?

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
So I've had my old Radeon R9 390 card for... I'm not sure, like 7ish years maybe? But it's been fine for me and I can play Tarkov, Doom, etc all fine although Cyberpunk has shown the card's age. Note that this would just be for games, I don't do any video editing or anything else like that.

I've been wanting to get a 3000-series nvidia card; normally I don't care about the high end cards and just get something cheap but those cards really seem great and I can afford the MSRP for a 3060. However as we all know they're incredibly difficult to find, and there's no way I'm paying a huge inflated price, on eBay or anywhere else.

Since I've been looking and can't find one for like 10 months or so, I'm wondering if it would make sense to just get a 2060 card (looks like they go for around $500 or so on eBay, sigh) and then use that for a year until I can hopefully find a 3060? T

he only thing is, once I do finally find a 3060, I'd like to be able to sell the 2060 for a somewhat reasonable price. Do you guys think people will still be looking for a 2060 in a year or two? Or am I gonna get like $20 for the thing? I don't need to recoup 100% of the cost I paid for it, but like 80% would be good and I think reasonable considering it'll be in the same condition as I bought it (and I will not be overclocking it) as I take care of my stuff.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I'd like to be able to sell the 2060 for a somewhat reasonable price. Do you guys think people will still be looking for a 2060 in a year or two? Or am I gonna get like $20 for the thing?

Depends pretty much entirely on mining. Paying $500 for a used 2060 seems like a bad idea IMO.

Reactions: AnitaPeterson

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Depends pretty much entirely on mining. Paying $500 for a used 2060 seems like a bad idea IMO.
Yeah trust me, that's a hard pill to swallow. But man I just don't see myself getting a 3060 anytime soon. And that's why if these 2000-series cards would still be selling for a decent price in a year or two it wouldn't be bad, could recoup much of the cost. Stupid mining BS.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Yeah trust me, that's a hard pill to swallow. But man I just don't see myself getting a 3060 anytime soon. And that's why if these 2000-series cards would still be selling for a decent price in a year or two it wouldn't be bad, could recoup much of the cost. Stupid mining BS.

Problem is if mining suddenly collapses 2 years from now, yes your 2060 might be only like 100 bucks at most used.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
A 2060 Super might be a decent buy. Also you might be able to find an RX 6600.

kschendel

Aug 1, 2018
If I had to guess, I'd say that pent-up demand for even semi decent graphics cards will be high enough that you'll be able to sell a 2060 for an acceptable price, even after a presumed crypto collapse. I think we'd see some supply shortages even if crypto were never in the picture, simply because demand has been insane since the pandemic started.

I don't know if your R9 390 is on the list for driver end-of-life, that might be worth checking out.

If I were a gamer in your position, and if I could get a 2060 for a price that I could stomach, I'd do it.

BUY HIGH SELL LOW

Jan 21, 2022
So I've had my old Radeon R9 390 card for... I'm not sure, like 7ish years maybe? But it's been fine for me and I can play Tarkov, Doom, etc all fine although Cyberpunk has shown the card's age. Note that this would just be for games, I don't do any video editing or anything else like that.

I've been wanting to get a 3000-series nvidia card; normally I don't care about the high end cards and just get something cheap but those cards really seem great and I can afford the MSRP for a 3060. However as we all know they're incredibly difficult to find, and there's no way I'm paying a huge inflated price, on eBay or anywhere else.

Since I've been looking and can't find one for like 10 months or so, I'm wondering if it would make sense to just get a 2060 card (looks like they go for around $500 or so on eBay, sigh) and then use that for a year until I can hopefully find a 3060? T

he only thing is, once I do finally find a 3060, I'd like to be able to sell the 2060 for a somewhat reasonable price. Do you guys think people will still be looking for a 2060 in a year or two? Or am I gonna get like $20 for the thing? I don't need to recoup 100% of the cost I paid for it, but like 80% would be good and I think reasonable considering it'll be in the same condition as I bought it (and I will not be overclocking it) as I take care of my stuff.

best thing to do is enter the newegg shuffle every morning monday-friday. if you have a nearby best buy or microcenter check those out during drop dates that get announced on twitter and discord