Cannot contact my DHCP

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Alright guys, I'm stumped. I have a laptop and it will connect to the internet fine via the wireless. But when I try a wired connection I get the 'limited or no connectivity'.

Now, when I first look through things the
IP address is 192.168.1.1
Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
and the Default gateway is 192.168.1.1

The computer is set to obtain IP addresses automatically

I do the ipconfig /release and then /renew but then I get the message "Cannot contact your DHCP server"

I have tried reinstalling the device and running the winsock fix utility but to no avail. Any ideas? More information needed?

Thanks in advance!!!

kevnich2

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Exterous
Alright guys, I'm stumped. I have a laptop and it will connect to the internet fine via the wireless. But when I try a wired connection I get the 'limited or no connectivity'.

So it is obtaining an IP address (according to this statement)? is that correct? Or is this the wireless IP address?
Now, when I first look through things the
IP address is 192.168.1.1
Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
and the Default gateway is 192.168.1.1

The computer is set to obtain IP addresses automatically

I do the ipconfig /release and then /renew but then I get the message "Cannot contact your DHCP server"

I have tried reinstalling the device and running the winsock fix utility but to no avail. Any ideas? More information needed?

Thanks in advance!!!

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
this is the wireless IP address I think (its the same thing i type in to get to the wireless control panel on the linksys router)

I have tried another cable and another port on the router (but not on the laptop obviously)

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Exterous
this is the wireless IP address I think (its the same thing i type in to get to the wireless control panel on the linksys router)

I have tried another cable and another port on the router (but not on the laptop obviously)

You are not making much sense...

Post the output of "ipconfig /all" when connected wireless. This is the same computer not working wired? or a different computer?