Question Cannot connect to a specific game's servers without VPN

Rakanoth

Oct 6, 2017
I have an interesting problem. Interesting at least to me :) I cannot connect to Rainbow Six Siege servers without VPN. This issue started recently and I am 100% sure that it is isn't because of some changed settings in my PC or router. I can connect to other online video game servers but this specific game keeps giving me errors when I do not use a VPN.

I researched Reddit and Rainbow Six Siege forums, and people recently seem to be experiencing connectivity issues but I am still not sure it is related to Rainbow Six Siege.

I am sure VPN does not put me in a different region because I can manually choose which region I can connect.

One person suggest that the problem might stem from NAT, for example a strict NAT type but I am not sure how I can change NAT type.

What sort of a problem (either on game servers or on my PC) can cause this type of problem any why is a VPN fixing it?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
To test without NAT, connect your PC directly to the modem. You should fully power cycle the modem and PC when you make changes like this. Same goes for when you add the router back in.

1. Power off modem and PC.
2. Unplug modem power, coax, and network cables
3. Wait a few minutes
4. Plug in modem coax and power
5. Wait for modem to complete power on and lights to settle
6. Connect PC directly to modem Ethernet
7. Turn on PC

If your problem disappears, it's likely something on your router. You then want to use the process above to add your router back into the mix (exchange the PC steps for the router). If the problem is still gone, then a power cycle cleared up something for the time being and you will want to look at firmware levels on the router to see if an upgrade is needed.

If the problem doesn't resolve, then it's likely outside your network.

a couple questions:

1. Who is your ISP
2. What's your router and modem models?
3. What VPN service and where are you connecting that the game server works.

thoughts, it's possible someone at the server or network level has banned IP's, and yours is on the list. Connecting thru a VPN changes what IP the server would see traffic coming from.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
1. Power off modem and PC.
2. Unplug modem power, coax, and network cables
3. Wait a few minutes
4. Plug in modem coax and power
5. Wait for modem to complete power on and lights to settle
6. Connect PC directly to modem Ethernet
7. Turn on PC
Shouldn't need to remove the coax connection. Also, those aren't designed to be constantly removed and re-connected.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
The local ISP I worked for experienced a similar issue affecting The Division and many Source engine games such as Garry's Mod. Our network engineer completely ignored the issue for way too long as I told him it was generating lots of calls / complaints from customers who realized this worked from almost any other ISP (testing from neighbor or a mobile hot spot). I found a discussion thread online where a couple other small ISPs were also affected. I bought my own PS4, borrowed a copy of the game, and confirmed the issue.

As I expected, the issue was ultimately a routing issue that the upstream bandwidth provider had to correct. Our network engineer had to make some calls to get it corrected (like a month after I had been telling him to do so). One of the reasons I left the company after 12+ years was due to the difficulty of getting the network engineer to acknowledge or respond to issues like that.

Reactions: SamirD

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001