Discussion Canned seafoods in Olive Oil vs in water?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I've done quite a bit of legal work for seafood companies (importers/distributors), and some of the China-related knowledge I have gained over the years has definitely 'refined' what I am willing to eat or not eat. There is some really disgusting stuff out there that pretty easily makes its way into the USA (especially when you consider that the FDA only inspects maybe 2% of entries).
I have a hard time believing China as food exporting nation, but rather as barely able to feed it's population.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Just ordered 72 cans of kippered herring, packed in water. These actually aren't my absolute favorite, but I like that it's just smoked herring, water, and salt. I wouldn't mind a touch more salt, but I'm not gonna quibble. German produced fish for just a touch more money than Chinese herring. Recommended!

https://www.amazon.com/MW-Polar-Her...&qid=1552432651&s=gateway&sr=8-2&tag=duc0c-20
I have some Polar kippered herring in my pantry. I like that it's German and cheap compared to other brands. You should be set for awhile.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
You should be set for awhile.
Not as long as you might think. I'll have five cans a week some weeks. I try to get decent brands from dollar stores, but I haven't found any in awhile. When they showup, I'll clean off the shelves, and keep going back til they quit stocking it.

I was getting Beach Cliff pretty reliably, but I haven't seen it in awhile. What I suspect, is it comes from the same Canadian canning houses as King Oskar and Brunswick, but are seconds, so they'll stock them for awhile, then release them under the Beach Cliff discount name. They taste just as good as the better brands, but aren't nice whole fillets laid neatly in the tin(Though they infrequently are), They're mostly intact fillets, with some larger chunks here and there to get the weight up. I also like the retro label. It has appealing graphics :^)

00020100000502-CL-JPEG-3.jpg

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I just had can of sardines and can of anchovies with bowl of rice for dinner.

For sardines, I sauteed some onions; added little soy sauce and garnished it with some green onions.
hRX4CXlh.jpg

To anchovies, I added some chopped raw onions, jalapeno peppers, fresh garlic, sugar, toasted sesame seeds, and fish sauce. I got the inspiration from salted shrimp sauce I make and decided to use anchovies instead. It was first time using canned anchovies this way and it turned out way better than I expected. I will be making this regularly going forward. Definitely successful experiment. I topped the rice with this anchovy dish and mixed it. It was so good I ate two bowls of rice.
CwMDtuhh.jpg

Reactions: lxskllr

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Just ordered 72 cans of kippered herring, packed in water. These actually aren't my absolute favorite, but I like that it's just smoked herring, water, and salt. I wouldn't mind a touch more salt, but I'm not gonna quibble. German produced fish for just a touch more money than Chinese herring. Recommended!

https://www.amazon.com/MW-Polar-Her...&qid=1552432651&s=gateway&sr=8-2&tag=duc0c-20
I first tried kippered herring years ago when Biglots had a lot of them on sale, so I brought a bunch. I enjoyed them.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I first tried kippered herring years ago when Biglots had a lot of them on sale, so I brought a bunch. I enjoyed them.
Years ago, a carpenter foreman for one of our clients got me to try them. I balked at first, but broke down and tried a piece. Delicious! One of the best food tips I ever got. It's a staple for lunches for me now. I actually first found the Polar kippers at biglots. After sampling a tin, I went back the next week and bought the 1.5 flats they had left :^D

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Years ago, a carpenter foreman for one of our clients got me to try them. I balked at first, but broke down and tried a piece. Delicious! One of the best food tips I ever got. It's a staple for lunches for me now. I actually first found the Polar kippers at biglots. After sampling a tin, I went back the next week and bought the 1.5 flats they had left :^D
I don't think that I will eat pickled herring howere, they look so gross.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I don't think that I will eat pickled herring howere, they look so gross.
They aren't nearly as good as kippered herring imo. I wouldn't necessarily call them gross, but I'd be cool with never having them again. There's better choices in canned fish to choose from.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
They aren't nearly as good as kippered herring imo. I wouldn't necessarily call them gross, but I'd be cool with never having them again. There's better choices in canned fish to choose from.
In your opinion, what brands of smoked seeafoods are the best?

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I prefer watered tuna for tuna salad used in a sandwich, but oil tuna for use in mac & cheese.
As a kid I hated mac & cheese, then one day my mother tossing in a can of tuna and that made all the difference.
Once in a blue moon I still crave mac & cheese with tuna, but I only add tuna in oil.
Adds flavor and moisture to the mac & cheese.

Ok, I lied, It was our maid and not my mother. ;)

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
In your opinion, what brands of smoked seeafoods are the best?
I don't think I have wide enough experience to be an authority, but for kippers, King Oskar, and Brunswick are very good, and readily available. For value, the Polar kippers I linked above, and Beach Cliff are pretty good. Keep your eyes open at the dollar stores for Beach Cliff. Salmon from the PNW is excellent, and that'll showup at biglots around jul time. If it's left over afterward, it'll go on sale. This year, I got 5 boxes of salmon for $4/each. They were reduced to $5, then I got another 20% due to a sale event. I don't think brand matters. They just need to be wild caught from the PNW. AmericanTuna smoked in olive oil is delicious. That's my favorite variety from them.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
I don't think I have wide enough experience to be an authority, but for kippers, King Oskar, and Brunswick are very good, and readily available. For value, the Polar kippers I linked above, and Beach Cliff are pretty good. Keep your eyes open at the dollar stores for Beach Cliff. Salmon from the PNW is excellent, and that'll showup at biglots around jul time. If it's left over afterward, it'll go on sale. This year, I got 5 boxes of salmon for $4/each. They were reduced to $5, then I got another 20% due to a sale event. I don't think brand matters. They just need to be wild caught from the PNW. AmericanTuna smoked in olive oil is delicious. That's my favorite variety from them.
Brunswick and Beach Cliff are the bottom of the barrel. The quality is so poor, they're inedible for me.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Not as long as you might think. I'll have five cans a week some weeks. I try to get decent brands from dollar stores, but I haven't found any in awhile. When they showup, I'll clean off the shelves, and keep going back til they quit stocking it.

I was getting Beach Cliff pretty reliably, but I haven't seen it in awhile. What I suspect, is it comes from the same Canadian canning houses as King Oskar and Brunswick, but are seconds, so they'll stock them for awhile, then release them under the Beach Cliff discount name. They taste just as good as the better brands, but aren't nice whole fillets laid neatly in the tin(Though they infrequently are), They're mostly intact fillets, with some larger chunks here and there to get the weight up. I also like the retro label. It has appealing graphics :^)

00020100000502-CL-JPEG-3.jpg
I'd love to eat 5 cans per week, but there's this cumulative toxin called "mercury," ...

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Well I brought some small cans of Season brand sardines and mackerel fillets in olive oil. I thought the local Walmart would have a wider selection of canned seafood.:(

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Man I just opened a pouch of pink salmon. Talk about strong. I was going to eat it from the pouch but way too dry.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Well I just tried the mackerel in olive oil and it isn't bad at all. Not sure if I would eat this instead of tuna. Oh well I got the tin opened so I might as well finish it.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Good God!!! I have only eaten a few pieces of Mackerel for supper last evening and I just now threw up. o_O:eek:

Well that the end of me consuming Mackerel.... I think I'll stick with tuna and every now and then, anchovies on pizza.