Discussion Canned seafoods in Olive Oil vs in water?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
For some reason I've got shrimp in a can stuck in my head now...

I just try to avoid cans because it's a potential cancer link and I got enough of those links already.
Most breweries are moving back to cans because they are superior to glass.

As for the topic, I only buy tuna for the cats, and we get it packed in oil because it is good for their skin and fur.

I agree that it has better flavor and mouth feel when packed in oil but if you are adding mayo it is less of a concern.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I'd be too scared to try the fish in oil... bleh. Makes me wanna shit just thinkin about it. I'm not that much of a seafood fan anyway, though canned tuna (in water) is alright.

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
Water because I'm pretty sure my cats would kill me if I had canned tuna and didn't give them tuna juice.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Most breweries are moving back to cans because they are superior to glass.

As for the topic, I only buy tuna for the cats, and we get it packed in oil because it is good for their skin and fur.

I agree that it has better flavor and mouth feel when packed in oil but if you are adding mayo it is less of a concern.

What would make cans superior to glass? It would seem like glass wouldn’t leach or impart other flavors into what’s inside. Though I guess we get a decent amount of it from China.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
What would make cans superior to glass? It would seem like glass wouldn’t leach or impart other flavors into what’s inside. Though I guess we get a decent amount of it from China.
Cans don't let light in, and they seal more reliably.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Cans are now manufactured to not leech or impart flavors and have the added benefit of not letting in light.

Reactions: whm1974

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I don't recall ever even seeing seafood in jars, much less had them from one.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Had me some Ortiz tuna in oil this weekend w/ just some salt and pepper on top, side of tomatoes drizzled w/ oil, fried padron peppers. Perfect.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I don't recall ever even seeing seafood in jars, much less had them from one.
You never seen pickled herring in a jar? Or salted shrimp in a jar?
B4zpVifl.jpg

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I prepare tuna by squeezing it dry, then I add copious amounts of cold diced onions, mayonnaise, and ground black pepper. Then I eat with saltines.

Even though I squeeze it dry as the first step, it tastes terrible when I start with tuna in oil. Gotta be tuna in water.
So you think tuna in oil tastes terrible yet add mayo which is oil to make it edible. o_O

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Hard to get excited over pickled herring, but it's edible. Ortiz sells fish in jars too, but it's very spendy.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
WTF is that?! Looks like a bowl of pantry moth larvae D^:
:D It's salted shrimp. I love the stuff. I cook with it, use it as food topping like condiment, and make dipping sauce with it. It's beyond awesome with anything pork and I use it as dipping sauce for all kinds pork BBQ and roasts.
iNq2vhNl.jpg

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
:D It's salted shrimp. I love the stuff. I cook with it, use it as food topping like condiment, and make dipping sauce with it. It's beyond awesome with anything pork and I use it as dipping sauce for all kinds pork BBQ and roasts.
iNq2vhNl.jpg
So it's really tiny shrimp, like shrimp larvae?

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
So it's really tiny shrimp, like shrimp larvae?
It's tiny shrimp. It's fully grown. You eat it whole like you would tiny anchovy. Just like anchovy, it's salted as soon as it's caught, many times right on the boat. I've eaten these tiny shrimps right off the boat while it's alive and unsalted and it's great as well. It's salty because of the salt water but the texture is incredible. It just pops in your mouth. Same with the tiny anchovies. I've had alive ones straight off the boat before it's salted and it just pops in your mouth as well.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Pork stew/soups seasoned with salted shrimp just takes the flavor/taste to the next level.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Hmm... Dunno about that, but it isn't off the table. I wouldn't buy my own, but if it were laid out on a table, I'd try some.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Hmm... Dunno about that, but it isn't off the table. I wouldn't buy my own, but if it were laid out on a table, I'd try some.
I guarantee you'll like it if you like shrimp. It's divine with pork. Here's picture of sliced pork trotters I had at a restaurant served with side of salted shrimp dipping sauce. You can see the salted shrimp on a small dipping saucer at the bottom of the picture.
wwvmUGDh.jpg

But when I make my salted shrimp dipping sauce at home to eat with pork, I like to kick it up a notch with some hot chili paste.
EA4lCO1h.jpg

Reactions: lxskllr

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
So you think tuna in oil tastes terrible yet add mayo which is oil to make it edible. o_O
That's exactly why I pointed it out. When I do the same process starting with tuna "in oil," the result tastes nasty.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
I haven't developed a country preference(aside from NO FUCKING CHINA) for ordinary canned fish, but I do like European varieties for the better stuff. Dunno if it's a product of country of origin, or simply cause more care was taken due to the price tag.

I've done quite a bit of legal work for seafood companies (importers/distributors), and some of the China-related knowledge I have gained over the years has definitely 'refined' what I am willing to eat or not eat. There is some really disgusting stuff out there that pretty easily makes its way into the USA (especially when you consider that the FDA only inspects maybe 2% of entries).