Discussion Canned seafoods in Olive Oil vs in water?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
For a lunch at work I would get the pouches instead of cans.
~6oz is a pretty good size for me if I reduce some of the other stuff I take. An example lunch might be a 6oz can of tuna, some fresh vegetables(carrot, cucumber, radish are favorites), an apple, some cheese, pretzels, and a granola bar.

If I go with a lighter can of kippered herring or something, I'll add a grain, olive, or pasta salad.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Which US produced canned seafood in olive oil brands are half way decent? I'm very far from MAGA thinking, but I would prefer to help my fellow American stay employed if I can.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Which US produced canned seafood in olive oil brands are half way decent? I'm very far from MAGA thinking, but I would prefer to help my fellow American stay employed if I can.
The only one I've personally had is AmericanTuna smoked. I think they add the olive oil to replace moisture lost in the smoking process. TunaOregon.com has some packed in oil, but I haven't had them. There isn't a lot of choice for canned American produced tuna, or really anything as far as that goes :^D

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
The only one I've personally had is AmericanTuna smoked. I think they add the olive oil to replace moisture lost in the smoking process. TunaOregon.com has some packed in oil, but I haven't had them. There isn't a lot of choice for canned American produced tuna, or really anything as far as that goes :^D
Well canned smoke oysters made in America at least I know I can get with some ease as I should be able to find them at Walmart and Schnucks.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Here are a couple of brands of American made canned smoked oysters that being reviewed. Pricey however.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Found a review of ten brands of Smoked oysters:
https://www.gimmetasty.com/best-canned-oysters/
Well Crown Prince was the top of the list and Brunswick is fairly decent as well.
Check the country of origin for oysters. Most are from China. There are two versions of the same Crown Prince. One is from China and other from South Korea. Exact same packaging on the outside except for the country of origin. Trader Joe's sells the South Korea one and that's the one you want.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Check the country of origin for oysters. Most are from China. There are two versions of the same Crown Prince. One is from China and other from South Korea. Exact same packaging on the outside except for the country of origin. Trader Joe's sells the South Korea one and that's the one you want.
Thanks for the info as I didn't know that. I'm thinking getting Crown Prince oysters in olive oil with red chili pepper.

jameny5

Aug 7, 2018
I only eat tuna in water. In Tuna salad - I pour the water out and add my ingredients plus mayonnaise. Same thing if I eat it out of the can with crackers. How do you eat your tuna with oil? It's too slimy for me.

Reactions: Jimzz

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I only eat tuna in water. In Tuna salad - I pour the water out and add my ingredients plus mayonnaise. Same thing if I eat it out of the can with crackers. How do you eat your tuna with oil? It's too slimy for me.
While I will usually get tuna in water, I have put a little bit of olive oil when making Tuna salad before.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Wouldn't that depend the seafood and wither or not it is smoked?

I thought the story was that any food cooked at high temperatures will have carcinogens? Acrylamide or something? Anything fried or baked...so steam or boil everything or (maybe a bit ironic, this?) microwave it.

Or is it only animal fats and carbs where that applies? I can't keep up with all this crap. Ultimately life is fatal, I guess.

My main gripe is after a lifetime of not eaching much fish I learn that it's supposedly very good for on, only to discover that in the meantime the rest of you have eaten all of it.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I prepare tuna by squeezing it dry, then I add copious amounts of cold diced onions, mayonnaise, and ground black pepper. Then I eat with saltines.

Even though I squeeze it dry as the first step, it tastes terrible when I start with tuna in oil. Gotta be tuna in water.

Reactions: jameny5

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I prepare tuna by squeezing it dry, then I add copious amounts of cold diced onions, mayonnaise, and ground black pepper. Then I eat with saltines.

Even though I squeeze it dry as the first step, it tastes terrible when I start with tuna in oil. Gotta be tuna in water.
Well my tuna salad is fancier then that, and I'll eat with multigrain crackers or on whole grain bread.