Discussion Canned seafoods in Olive Oil vs in water?

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I don't know about you guys, but I highly prefer my canned seafood such as tuna and smoked kippers fillets in water way over those in soybean/Canola oils. I won't even eat lower cost smoked oysters in those kind of oils at all as they gross me out. However I can tolerate tuna in such oils although I only eat that type if it is the only canned tuna the store sells.

I just recently discovered that you can some seafood canned in Olive Oil, such as tuna, smoked herring, anchovies, and etc. Does that taste better then in water? I did however notice that they are pricier then then the regular kinds. So are they worth the extra cost?

What do my follow gerbils eat?

Reactions: JulesMaximus

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I remember looking at the two ages ago. I think I used to get in oil, but I switched to water after seeing that the oil one had a lot more calories. Seems awkward since you drain most of the liquid anyway!

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
No one here hasn't had canned seafood in olive oil before? I guess not, so will I be the first gerbil to try some out?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Oil for sure. Better flavor and mouth feel if the competition is water. Best is packed in its own juices.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Oil for sure. Better flavor and mouth feel if the competition is water. Best is packed in its own juices.
If I can get some smoked seafood canned in olive oil locally I would buy some and post a review of what I try.

Reactions: lxskllr

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
If there's choice between oil and water, I pick the can with oil. I buy the cheapest tuna in oil I can find. My goto source is Aldi.

I'm pickier about the country of packed origin more than anything in regards to canned seafood. I try to avoid anything from China regardless of low price. I don't care for Morocco as well but will eat if it's cheap enough.

Canned oysters, I only buy if the label says Made in South Korea.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
If there's choice between oil and water, I pick the can with oil. I buy the cheapest tuna in oil I can find. My goto source is Aldi.

I'm pickier about the country of packed origin more than anything in regards to canned seafood. I try to avoid anything from China regardless of low price. I don't care for Morocco as well but will eat if it's cheap enough.

What about the US if is produced by a decent cannery?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004

They have OceanPrince(?) kippered herring at biglots. Looked just like cans packed in Canada. Got excited when I first saw it, turn the can over(cause I've found companies are trying to fuck me more often now), and it was made in China. Put it back on the shelf.

I haven't developed a country preference(aside from NO FUCKING CHINA) for ordinary canned fish, but I do like European varieties for the better stuff. Dunno if it's a product of country of origin, or simply cause more care was taken due to the price tag.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
They have OceanPrince(?) kippered herring at biglots. Looked just like cans packed in Canada. Got excited when I first saw it, turn the can over(cause I've found companies are trying to fuck me more often now), and it was made in China. Put it back on the shelf.

I haven't developed a country preference(aside from NO FUCKING CHINA) for ordinary canned fish, but I do like European varieties for the better stuff. Dunno if it's a product of country of origin, or simply cause more care was taken due to the price tag.
Probably both as some counties take great pride in their canned fish.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
What about the US if is produced by a decent cannery?
My only rule is No made in China.

I have the same NO FUCKING CHINA rule. I'm not as picky about the other stuff although I've found higher quality stuff from Spain, Portugal, and Italy. I like Made in Korea stuff if I can find it. Sea snails, mackerels, tuna, and oysters I prefer Made In South Korea.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I strong agree with the no China rule. I had smoked oyster from them and they were really nasty.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Canned seafood such as tuna or smoked herring fillets makes it far easier for me to consume fish, although I only recently start eating tuna again after not eaten it for a few years at least. However I will avoid consuming more then two cans of the fish a week if even that due to mercury concerns.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
For some reason I've got shrimp in a can stuck in my head now...

I just try to avoid cans because it's a potential cancer link and I got enough of those links already.
Wouldn't that depend the seafood and wither or not it is smoked?

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
For oil I keep to decent Spanish brands, but it can get pricey. Ortiz is a solid baseline, or something like Ramon Pena for $$$$$$.