Canadian Politicians Negotiate to Join ACTA, Will Criminalize CD Copies, iPods at Border Crossings

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005

Under the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) at Canadian border crossings laptops, discs, and iPods will be subject to search, destruction, and fines if infringed copyright material is found

Additional ramifications of the deal of interest to American and Canadian citizens are the new restrictions on travel. The new act will make border agents essentially "copyright regulators". They will be authorized under current provisions to search those crossing for illegal copyright materials. Laptops, iPods and even cellular phones are among the devices that would be searched for illegal content.

If they found infringed content such as ripped copies of DVDs or CDs they could detain the person. The penalties are still being ironed out, but a fine for any materials found is planned. It would be at the discretion of the border agents to determine what infringement is and what isn't. Under the new act, even legally copied DVDs or CDs would be open to scrutiny.

If searching you for child pron or evidence of terrorist activities isn't enough now they can get you for copyright infringement, but then if you are doing nothing wrong, well now you have to prove that copy you have is legit so guilty it is unless the border agent is in a good mood.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Giving up a little inevitably leads to giving up a lot. Only idiots who still think we need to protect ourselves from "terrorists" would think that our rights aren't being eroded.

All for our corporate masters who control congress.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
I don't know the chances of such legislation actually becoming law but...

This is what we deserve. This type of legislation is born from the idea that "if we have nothing to hide then we have nothing to fear." This is something that we have argued on this board for MANY years now. and still there are people that believe we have nothing to fear.

This type of legislation is a clear example of why that argument is so dangerous.

morons who employed such an argument to defend things like wire-tapping and the Patriot Act and Gitmo are to blame for big business taking the initiative to utilize such sentiment to promote and create a legislative and legal environment where such things as ACTA can be considered.

We need to change our way of thinking and go back to making our government(s) work for us and not the corporations.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
:laugh:

So, if someone tries to cross the border with a laptop, they are going to take the time to search the hard drive for "illegal content?" Are they going to force the owner to give up passwords?

And in regards to, "discretion of the border agents to determine what infringement is and what isn't," that's just ridiculous.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: OrByte

This is what we deserve. This type of legislation is born from the idea that "if we have nothing to hide then we have nothing to fear." This is something that we have argued on this board for MANY years now. and still there are people that believe we have nothing to fear.

This type of legislation is a clear example of why that argument is so dangerous.

morons who employed such an argument to defend things like wire-tapping and the Patriot Act and Gitmo are to blame for big business taking the initiative to utilize such sentiment to promote and create a legislative and legal environment where such things as ACTA can be considered.

We need to change our way of thinking and go back to making our government(s) work for us and not the corporations.

Frankly, I think the "nothing to hide, nothing to fear" argument works just fine until the government starts passing stupid laws.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Atreus21

Frankly, I think the "nothing to hide, nothing to fear" argument works just fine until the government starts passing stupid laws.

O really?

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

O really?

What's your point?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

O really?

What's your point?

"Nothing to hide, nothing to fear" is the mantra of a Fool.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: sandorski

O really?

What's your point?

I don't see why. If murder is illegal, and you've not committed murder, you've nothing to fear from the government.

Is the government perfect? No. Some people will be wrongfully prosecuted. Nature of the beast.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

O really?

What's your point?

I don't see why. If murder is illegal, and you've not committed murder, you've nothing to fear from the government.

Is the government perfect? No. Some people will be wrongfully prosecuted. Nature of the beast.

The link shows exactly why.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I would support legislation putting cameras in Atreus21's home.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
ok so i have 8 full albums on my blackberry. how do they know i dont own them? ( I do of course) but really how in the hell will a border monkey know if a song is stolen? not only that but my daughter has a IPod and has downloaded many songs from apple from the ITunes gift cards. again i ask how will a border monkey know the difference between a song legally downloaded to one that was not?

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: bamacre

Well, that would be an unwarranted breach of privacy. If they can justify why they should put cameras in my house, that'd be different.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
One more reason not to travel to Canada, on top of weak USD. Frankly no-one should be allowed to sift through my CDs and look at files on my computer without a court order, especially not a TSA rent-a-cop.
If the travel industry does not stand up to the entertainment industry, it will have negative impact on their profits by making it too much hassle to travel.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

Well, that would be an unwarranted breach of privacy. If they can justify why they should put cameras in my house, that'd be different.

If you have nothing to hide, then why do you care?

babylon5

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2000

O really?

What's your point?

Your analogy as applied here is flawed.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: sirjonk
Hey, they're just trying to cut down on copyright infringement, buddy!

I'm not your buddy, guy!

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

Because some things are none of their business. If I'm making love to my wife, I'd rather we have privacy. However, if I'm reading terrorism manuals, I can expect the government to take an interest in what I'm doing.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Because some things are none of their business. If I'm making love to my wife, I'd rather we have privacy. However, if I'm reading terrorism manuals, I can expect the government to take an interest in what I'm doing.

How do we know you're screwing your wife? You could be in your bedroom talking to terrorists.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: BoberFett

How do we know you're screwing your wife? You could be in your bedroom talking to terrorists.

But the government isn't doing this. They're not doing random imprisoning of people with no reasoning. Why the hell are we arguing this? This isn't what the OP was about.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000

But the government isn't doing this. They're not doing random imprisoning of people with no reasoning.

I would argue that the government is randomly trashing individual rights. And the reason is preventative in nature, with zero suspicion of you carrying illegal content on your person or in your personal belongings.

Look at it this way...

At least they dont have police randomly pulling you over in your car to see if you have a terrorist in your back seat right??

OR

At least they don't have the police randomly walking down your street and knocking on your door or your neighbors door to see if you might be harboring fugitives..or TERRORISTS!

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

But the government isn't doing this. They're not doing random imprisoning of people with no reasoning.

I would argue that the government is randomly trashing individual rights. And the reason is preventative in nature, with zero suspicion of you carrying illegal content on your person or in your personal belongings.

Look at it this way...

At least they dont have police randomly pulling you over in your car to see if you have a terrorist in your back seat right??

OR

At least they don't have the police randomly walking down your street and knocking on your door or your neighbors door to see if you might be harboring fugitives..or TERRORISTS!

I'm gonna get off this thread, because I contributed to the threadjack.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000

Look at it this way...

OR

I'm gonna get off this thread, because I contributed to the threadjack.
NO it's not a thread jack..

These are the rights that have been brought into question. Where does it end Atreus??

Corporations and governments are in a CONSTANT struggle over individual rights. And now more than ever before we see the pendulum swinging away from individual protections to corporate or government protections.

do you see the point?