Canadian Politician Faces Racist Woman During Event

Indus

Lifer
May 11, 2002
Article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...554e4b0b5e531069a14?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

Video: https://youtu.be/j2onmR-oBIY

Canadian politician Jagmeet Singh was meeting with his constituents on Wednesday in Brampton, Ontario, when a woman stormed up to him and began to harass him.

Singh, a member of provincial Parliament and New Democratic Party leadership candidate who is Sikh, was just starting his “JagMeet & Greet” event when the unidentified woman rushed up and interrupted him. She began to yell at Singh about sharia law and the Muslim Brotherhood.

“We know you’re in bed with Sharia. We know you’re in bed with the Muslim Brotherhood. We know by your votes,” she said.

Although Sikhism is the world’s fifth-largest religion, followers are often mistaken for Muslims and subjected to Islamophobia. Part of that is due to the traditional turban head coverings that Sikh men, including Singh, wear as part of their faith.

During the encounter, the woman kept repeating herself as people in the audience began to get upset. When someone tried to speak to her, she yelled at the crowd not to touch her, saying she would call the police.

Singh remained calm, however, and spoke directly to the crowd.

“We don’t want to be intimidated by hate. We don’t want hatred to ruin a positive event,” he said. “Let’s show people how we would treat someone with love.”

And he began to chant his campaign slogan, “Love and courage.”

The woman, who said Singh had refused to answer her calls to his office, continued to ask when he would stop supporting sharia law. As she realized she was only going to be ignored, she got frustrated and ultimately decided to leave.

So umm ignorant conservaterrorists don't even know that Sikh's are only immigrating to Canada and other countries because their lands have been stolen by muslims? Seems to be just be angry, ignorant, without empathy and say anything for the conservaterrorist racist nazi cause right?

Oh and here's his response via twitter:

DJUjK-nXcAAOqCd.jpg:large

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
can he move to the US so I can vote for him? wish we had more people like Mr. Singh

<-- TX resident. GG ted cruz and crew :(

Nov 25, 2013
This is more ignorance than racism. Asking a Muslim politician about sharia law would be a very fair question.

A) it's religious bigotry mixed with racism as most of these idiots conflate Islam with folks who aren't Caucasian.

B) She wasn't simply asking questions, she was deliberately harassing him in order to cause a public scene.

Reactions: ch33zw1z and KMFJD

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
A) it's religious bigotry mixed with racism as most of these idiots conflate Islam with folks who aren't Caucasian.

Nope that was just ignorance. The question would have only made sense if he was a Muslim, which obviously he is not.

B) She wasn't simply asking questions, she was deliberately harassing him in order to cause a public scene.

No doubt, but she is the only one who looked a fool because she was ignorant.
Racism not found...

So what are your thoughts on the compatibility between Sharia law and western civilization? I mean if liberals are afraid of Christians simply holding office(separation of Church and State), they really should mortified of Muslims that want Sharia law holding office.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Nope that was just ignorance. The question would have only made sense if he was a Muslim, which obviously he is not.

Racism not found...

So what are your thoughts on the compatibility between Sharia law and western civilization? I mean if liberals are afraid of Christians simply holding office(separation of Church and State), they really should mortified of Muslims that want Sharia law holding office.
Well the current POTUS already thinks there is some compatibility with Nazism and western civilization.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

Racism not found...

Who is this Muslim politician who wants to enact Sharia?

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Who is this Muslim politician who wants to enact Sharia?
Yes, please enlighten us. I'm very interested to know which communities in North America are currently implementing or plan to implement any aspect of Sharia Law. It amazes me how many folks got their panties in a bunch over a non-issue. Seems to me that a few hateful individuals and alt right media outlets have convinced people this is happening, but where is the evidence?

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Yes, please enlighten us. I'm very interested to know which communities in North America are currently implementing or plan to implement any aspect of Sharia Law. It amazes me how many folks got their panties in a bunch over a non-issue. Seems to me that a few hateful individuals and alt right media outlets have convinced people this is happening, but where is the evidence?
The Christian right sure does like to place their morals on the rest of us....

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

Supposedly Dalton McGuinty entertained the idea of allowing Shaia arbitration (Christian and Jewish religious arbitration were in place) but it died rather quickly. Instead, all religious arbitrations were banned, which was the right move.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

Racism not found...

No, it's definitely racism; after all, racism by its very nature is rooted in ignorance. Specifically, I would say it's xenophobia tied closely to skin color.

Many Islamophobes' real fear isn't of Islam, it's of brown people. That's why they confuse Sikhs for Muslims; that's why many Islamophobes also embrace Trump's fantasies about getting rid of as many Mexican immigrants as possible (they'll insist it's only about illegal immigrants, but they have no problems stigmatizing all Mexican immigrants). As much as they will swear it's about fighting religious extremism or restoring jobs, their real fear is of people who conspicuously belong to a 'foreign' culture... that is, they're brown.

Also, I haven't heard of anyone running for office in North America who actually wants Sharia law. That's also part of the thinly-veiled racism; it's that fear that the foreign-looking brown people will impose the most foreign of their values.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paladin3

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Supposedly Dalton McGuinty entertained the idea of allowing Shaia arbitration (Christian and Jewish religious arbitration were in place) but it died rather quickly. Instead, all religious arbitrations were banned, which was the right move.
I was under the impression that religious arbitration was still allowed as long as both parties want it, it's not enforceable and purely voluntary.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Last edited:
Reactions: KMFJD

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
“WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO STOP VOTING FOR SHARIA?”

What votes on sharia law have ever come up in Canada?

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
No, it's definitely racism; after all, racism by its very nature is rooted in ignorance. Specifically, I would say it's xenophobia tied closely to skin color.

Many Islamophobes' real fear isn't of Islam, it's of brown people. That's why they confuse Sikhs for Muslims; that's why many Islamophobes also embrace Trump's fantasies about getting rid of as many Mexican immigrants as possible (they'll insist it's only about illegal immigrants, but they have no problems stigmatizing all Mexican immigrants). As much as they will swear it's about fighting religious extremism or restoring jobs, their real fear is of people who conspicuously belong to a 'foreign' culture... that is, they're brown.

Also, I haven't heard of anyone running for office in North America who actually wants Sharia law. That's also part of the thinly-veiled racism; it's that fear that the foreign-looking brown people will impose the most foreign of their values.

The reality is actually much different and you can thank liberal Hollywood.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...s-muslim-portrayals-1483650479-htmlstory.html

Exploiting fear of Muslims? The far right has nothing on liberal Hollywood]

LONG BEFORE DONALD TRUMP campaigned on the promise of banning Muslims from entering the U.S. or creating a registry for those who already live here, there was a master fear monger who made the president-elect’s divisive rhetoric seem like child’s play.

It capitalized upon the terror of 9/11 by portraying most Muslims (even those who are American) as terrorists, cast a suspicious eye toward anyone who looked remotely like Sallah from “Raiders of the Lost Ark,” and pretty much ensured that Westerners would know Islam through only the prism of suicide bombings, religious extremism and oppressed women in burkas.

When it comes to exploiting fear of the other for personal gain, the far right has nothing on liberal Hollywood.

Television producers, writers, actors and network execs — many of whom have openly criticized ultra-conservative politicians for their intolerant views — have done more to popularize Islamophobia over the last 15 years than all of Trump’s campaign proclamations.

“There has never been liberal Hollywood when it comes to the portrayal of Muslims on TV,” says professor and author Jack Shaheen, who’s been researching the subject since the mid 1970s and served as a cultural consultant on films such as “Three Kings” and “Syriana.” “They’ve reinforced the idea that many Americans now have — that all Muslims are terrorists. They knew they could get away with it because no one was going to protest. They’ve been playing to the balcony, and in doing so, they’ve been getting the ratings.”

That dynamic grew exponentially following the 9/11 attacks: While President George W. Bush delivered dozens of speeches about how ours was not a war against Islam but “a campaign against evil,” network television was busy putting the finishing touches on the series that came to embody TV’s narrative about our war against evil Islam.

Eight weeks after the attacks, Fox released “24,” a series steeped in scheming, swarthy Muslims and the heroic efforts of a very non-swarthy Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland).The series outlasted both of Bush’s terms and spawned an army of like-minded shows.

The next phase in television terrorism drama included Showtime’s “Sleeper Cell,” which arrived with the tagline "Friends. Neighbors. Husbands. Terrorists," and “Homeland,” where the mere act of a man praying toward Mecca signaled foreboding events. And with a title like “Tyrant,” it was clear that FX’s drama about an American Arab family was no “Cosby Show.”

Even network TV’s good Muslims like Sayid on “Lost” or twins *Nimah and Raina of “Quantico” are defined by a connection to Saddam’s Republican Guard or terror groups.

“It’s like the LGBT community 30 years ago,” says Sue Obeidi, director of the civil rights advocacy group the Muslim Public Affairs Council, Hollywood bureau. “Every time there was a gay character on TV or in film, the story line would be about AIDS. Almost all Muslim story lines up to now are connected to terror. Even if they end up being a good person, it’s often discovered under a cloud of suspicion.”

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Sounds like the man is a champ. I appreciate his response.

His was not the hateful and divisive response too often found when Americans deal with such issues.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
You learn something new every day, if you're open to learning. My knee jerk reaction would be to say, "Yo, I'm not Muslim." After reading his written statement I realize how he handled it was much better than how I would have handled it.

Reactions: Ns1

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
The reality is actually much different and you can thank liberal Hollywood.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...s-muslim-portrayals-1483650479-htmlstory.html

Exploiting fear of Muslims? The far right has nothing on liberal Hollywood]

LONG BEFORE DONALD TRUMP campaigned on the promise of banning Muslims from entering the U.S. or creating a registry for those who already live here, there was a master fear monger who made the president-elect’s divisive rhetoric seem like child’s play.

It capitalized upon the terror of 9/11 by portraying most Muslims (even those who are American) as terrorists, cast a suspicious eye toward anyone who looked remotely like Sallah from “Raiders of the Lost Ark,” and pretty much ensured that Westerners would know Islam through only the prism of suicide bombings, religious extremism and oppressed women in burkas.

When it comes to exploiting fear of the other for personal gain, the far right has nothing on liberal Hollywood.

Television producers, writers, actors and network execs — many of whom have openly criticized ultra-conservative politicians for their intolerant views — have done more to popularize Islamophobia over the last 15 years than all of Trump’s campaign proclamations.

“There has never been liberal Hollywood when it comes to the portrayal of Muslims on TV,” says professor and author Jack Shaheen, who’s been researching the subject since the mid 1970s and served as a cultural consultant on films such as “Three Kings” and “Syriana.” “They’ve reinforced the idea that many Americans now have — that all Muslims are terrorists. They knew they could get away with it because no one was going to protest. They’ve been playing to the balcony, and in doing so, they’ve been getting the ratings.”

That dynamic grew exponentially following the 9/11 attacks: While President George W. Bush delivered dozens of speeches about how ours was not a war against Islam but “a campaign against evil,” network television was busy putting the finishing touches on the series that came to embody TV’s narrative about our war against evil Islam.

Eight weeks after the attacks, Fox released “24,” a series steeped in scheming, swarthy Muslims and the heroic efforts of a very non-swarthy Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland).The series outlasted both of Bush’s terms and spawned an army of like-minded shows.

The next phase in television terrorism drama included Showtime’s “Sleeper Cell,” which arrived with the tagline "Friends. Neighbors. Husbands. Terrorists," and “Homeland,” where the mere act of a man praying toward Mecca signaled foreboding events. And with a title like “Tyrant,” it was clear that FX’s drama about an American Arab family was no “Cosby Show.”

Even network TV’s good Muslims like Sayid on “Lost” or twins *Nimah and Raina of “Quantico” are defined by a connection to Saddam’s Republican Guard or terror groups.

“It’s like the LGBT community 30 years ago,” says Sue Obeidi, director of the civil rights advocacy group the Muslim Public Affairs Council, Hollywood bureau. “Every time there was a gay character on TV or in film, the story line would be about AIDS. Almost all Muslim story lines up to now are connected to terror. Even if they end up being a good person, it’s often discovered under a cloud of suspicion.”

I'm sorry, but this strikes me as a diversion.

Is Hollywood responsible for demonizing Muslims? To a degree, yes. But the freak-outs over Muslims in recent years, and especially now, can't be pinned on people watching fictional TV shows. There's an obvious, strong trend among conservative media outlets and politicians to portray all Muslims as this vast, overwhelming threat.

In fact, I seem to recall a certain orange-hued President imposing an immigration ban that discriminates solely on religion and not the actual threat from the countries in question. He campaigned heavily on this, even, and has been eerily reluctant to condemn harassment and attacks against Muslims (or people perceived to be Muslim). But hey, the most powerful elected official on the planet wouldn't have any influence over how people behave, right?