Canadian Man Acquitted After Shooting at His Attackers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Your free to provide data to the country, but per citizen Canada has a lot of guns and way less gun violence.

feel free to post data on why that is.

Thanks, but I'm not going to open that can of worms. Feel free to look it up and post it yourself in these forums.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
The guy was a gun instructor, he should know better than anyone, you don't fire a warning shot.

I know why it's said not to, but given all the circumstances it was a reasonable decision. He had just been awoken by people screaming death threats and throwing fire bombs at his house. He lives in a country where if you shoot someone you're probably going away for a long time unless they were in the process of stabbing you to death. Warning shots, at night, to let unknown assailants know that you are armed don't seem ridiculous.

Probably figured he'd get life in prison for giving a good faith effort in defending himself and actually shooting one of them.

At face value, I do have a problem with the "shooting in the woods." The actual scene could put that to rest though. Heck, the guy could be in the middle of 100ac of his own property.

He did live on a rural farm property and again, the media is not accurately reflecting his "warning shots." They were not potentially dangerous and he did not face charges at trial for firing them.

Apr 27, 2012
1. Smaller population doesn't matter when the comparison is per capita.

2. Former Gun control laws have been proven not to work, that doesn't mean gun control doesn't work as you can look to other countries that have some strict gun control laws that do work.

3. I think gun violence has a poverty component and racial makeups probably reflect that.

as I have said before I don't know if gun control is a solution, I am confident that any gun control measures put into place now by lawmakers will do little to nothing to resolve the gun violence problem. so on that I am not really for gun control, I own a few guns BTW.

But I think a comprehensive look into gun violence and solutions is in order

I 100% agree on the bolded but how come so many people are willing to call those racist who point this out, This is a real problem that could be fixed but it wont because of all the moronic race baiters like jesse jackson and al sharpton

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
In sensible countries and states arson is one of those crimes that can be met with deadly force to stop. What a screwy country.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
A little bit more info:

The 4 men involved in the attack were Randy Weaver, 50, Richard Coulthurst, 48, Michael Theberge, 22, and Justin Lee, 21. The four men pleaded guilty to "Arson Disregarding Life". They received sentences ranging from two years to four and a half years in prison for the attack. Thomson had a history of disputes with his neighbour and had called the police on them several times. Because of this history Thomson installed about a dozen video surveillance cameras around his property which captured the attack.

Arson (disregard for human life)

Arson — disregard for human life
433. Every person who intentionally or recklessly causes damage by fire or explosion to property, whether or not that person owns the property, is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for life where

(a) the person knows that or is reckless with respect to whether the property is inhabited or occupied; or
(b) the fire or explosion causes bodily harm to another person.

Last edited:

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
In sensible countries and states arson is one of those crimes that can be met with deadly force to stop. What a screwy country.

They immediately dropped charges of using his weapon if you bothered to read. So by your logic, they're not a screwy country.

Saying self-defense isn't a free card to murder people so I don't see things automatically wrong for prosecuting someone claiming such. This case in particularly is a load of bullocks though.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
Canada needed a test-case for this, actually, because our gun storage laws are a jumbled mess.

The trial judge reached a very good decision; the only problem is it's unlikely to be appealed. I think this has the markings of a case that *should* go up the chain, and have this decision supported at higher levels (which is what I expect would happen).

I've seen police-interpretations that say 'if your guns are stolen, regardless of the method, then you were storing them carelessly'. Anyone with half a brain would see clearly this is not the intent of the law. Police do not not always fall in this category.