Canadian Man Acquitted After Shooting at His Attackers

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com...-acquits-man-who-defended-himself-with-a-gun/

It took two and a half years, but Port Colborne, Ont., resident Ian Thomson is finally done defending himself. First he fought the men who tried to murder him. Then, his own government.

Early one August morning in 2010, three masked men shouting death threats began hurling firebombs at Mr. Thomson’s home. One of his pet dogs was injured; several fires in and around his home were set.

Mr. Thomson, an experienced firearms instructor, called 911 immediately. He also armed himself with a .38 calibre revolver, stepped outside his home and fired three shots — one into his lawn, and two into a stand of trees. His attackers fled. So ended the first threat against Mr. Thomson.

The next began immediately thereafter.

Mr. Thomson was charged with four crimes: careless use of a firearm, pointing a firearm and two charges of careless storage of a firearm, one for each of the pistols he had removed from his gun safe (the second, a 9mm pistol, was never fired during the incident). The first two charges were dropped — it’s hard to imagine a more cut-and-dry case of lawful self defence than firing on men trying to burn down your home while you’re inside it. But the Crown insisted on pursuing the charges of careless storage.

On Friday, an Ontario judge acquitted Mr. Thomson of both those charges.

The Crown had pursued two avenues of prosecution. First, it contended that Mr. Thomson kept at least one of his guns in his bedside table, not in a legally mandated secure locking container. As evidence, they pointed to the fact that when police arrived, they found the guns in his bedroom, as well as a box of ammunition in the bedside table.

Nonsense. The guns were out because he’d just been fighting for his life. And a box of ammunition in his bedside table is proof only that Mr. Thomson kept a box of ammunition in his bedside table. If we accepted the Crown’s logic, I would apparently be in the habit of parking my car in my bedroom because I drop my car key onto a shelf there every evening.

The judge found that video surveillance captured by Mr. Thomson’s security cameras offered convincing evidence that Mr. Thomson did not have easy and immediate access to his firearms. There was a gap of a minute between the attack beginning and Mr. Thomson opening fire — time during which Mr. Thomson claimed he was opening his gun safe to arm himself. The judge accepted this.

But the Crown had also tried a novel argument — they contended that Mr. Thomson was guilty of unsafe storage because his ammunition was not stored in a securely locked container.

Canadian law notes that, “Every person commits an offence who, without lawful excuse, uses, carries, handles, ships, transports or stores a firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or any ammunition or prohibited ammunition in a careless manner or without reasonable precautions for the safety of other persons.” (Emphasis mine.) But there are no further references to what would constitute careless storage of ammunition — one reason Canadian gun owners have long complained that the Firearms Act is a poorly written mess.

The law specifies that firearms must not be readily accessible to ammunition, but also notes that firearms and ammunition can be stored in the same locked container. OK, then. And no definition of “readily accessible” is provided, either.

The judge ultimately ruled that the exact details of where or how the ammunition was stored did not matter. It only mattered that a loaded firearm not be readily accessible at any time, and since Mr. Thomson’s guns were stored in a locked container, that was the case. The judge rejected the Crown’s suggestion that Mr. Thomson’s bedroom was too close to his guns, noting the law says nothing about proximity of firearms and ammunition. Having rejected both of the Crown’s arguments, the judge acquitted Mr. Thomson.

There’s all kinds of good news here. First and foremost, Mr. Thomson did nothing wrong and should never have been charged in the first place. But an acquittal on all counts will have to do. Second, there is further clarification of Canada’s sloppy gun laws, and a reasonable one, at that.

And best of all, a message has been sent to overreaching Crown attorneys. Canadians have the right to use firearms to defend themselves and their homes. Mr. Thomson’s victory will hopefully spare the next Canadian who defends themselves with a lawfully owned firearm the expense and ordeal of a long legal battle against their own government.
We have some very strict (crazy) gun laws here.

Its very wrong to prosecute someone for defending their property and themselves. Unfortunately, he is only one of many Canadians facing a prison term for self-defense.

We need common sense gun laws here. Instead we have left-wing anti-gun laws.

Apr 27, 2012
Its pathetic that the justice system in Canada is so corrupted and cares more about the criminals than the victims. The prosecutors and everyone involved in this case against him need to be fired.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
Its pathetic that the justice system in Canada is so corrupted and cares more about the criminals than the victims. The prosecutors and everyone involved in this case against him need to be fired.

Send all of them to prison, along with all those that say "Happy Holidays!". Amirite?

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
We need only look to our neighbors to the north to see what kind of stupidity happens when you let the leftists create "sensible" gun control legislation.

Good to see that the guy was cleared, he should have never been tried at all. It's pretty much a cut and dried case where the good guy was able to defend himself against the bad guy. Idiot prosecutors.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
In Canada you have to have the guns in a safe even if you are home? What's the point? You gonna yell "Time Out" to an intruder while you go unlock your safe?

TakeNoPrisoners

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2011
In Canada you have to have the guns in a safe even if you are home? What's the point? You gonna yell "Time Out" to an intruder while you go unlock your safe?

It is obviously a piece of legislation designed to help criminals. Personally I believe they deserve to be shot but that is just me. Criminals are the new citizens now, even though they deserve to have their rights forfeit.

Apr 27, 2012

That's how screwed up the gun laws are in Canada. They care more about helping the criminals than the actual victims

Just look at this case where a grocer had been robbed multiples times by the same guy and when he finally caught him he was charged and the criminal let go.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/comm...ro-grocer-was-left-on-his-own/article1241109/

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
stepped outside his home and fired three shots — one into his lawn, and two into a stand of trees.

If he shot blindly into a stand of trees where anyone could have been standing (other than the perps), he's an idiot. You never shoot blindly into an area like that.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
That's how screwed up the gun laws are in Canada. They care more about helping the criminals than the actual victims

Just look at this case where a grocer had been robbed multiples times by the same guy and when he finally caught him he was charged and the criminal let go.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/comm...ro-grocer-was-left-on-his-own/article1241109/

Interesting theory from the prosecution. Some defense attorney should use it on them when police picks up their client hours after a robbery.

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
I'd be interested to know more about the back story here. Why were they fire-bombing his house in the first place?

OlafSicky

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2011
What I find interesting here why did Mr. Thomson have a security camera pointing at his lawn and why did he have masked men throwing firebombs around his house not at it.
Did he provoke his attackers on purpose? Was this a setup to bring this type of case to court? Why are people with guns the only ones that this always happens to? I never had guys throwing firebombs at my house? What did he do to have couple individuals so angry with him, that they make firebombs, put on masks drive to his house and set his lawn on fire.
This wasn't a random act of violence or a robbery.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005

Id say given per capita Canada's gun violence being so significantly less than the US means their laws are in fact much better. seems like there is room for improvement but Canada kicks our ass in less gun violence.

Apr 27, 2012
Id say given per capita Canada's gun violence being so significantly less than the US means their laws are in fact much better. seems like there is room for improvement but Canada kicks our ass in less gun violence.

You are wrong again, The culture in Canada is much different than the US, the situation there is different.

Canada also has a much smaller population, and if you compare the amount of people killed in school shootings since the 1970's between the US and Canada on a per capita basis its roughly the same.

Gun control has been proven not to work, The people committing those crimes are not using legal/registered guns and will ignore the law.

Finally you should also look at the racial makeup of the criminals and you would be very surprised to see how it looks.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008

Gosh, I wonder if there could possibly be any other reason for that besides their gun laws?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
What I find interesting here why did Mr. Thomson have a security camera pointing at his lawn and why did he have masked men throwing firebombs around his house not at it.
Did he provoke his attackers on purpose? Was this a setup to bring this type of case to court? Why are people with guns the only ones that this always happens to? I never had guys throwing firebombs at my house? What did he do to have couple individuals so angry with him, that they make firebombs, put on masks drive to his house and set his lawn on fire.

The guys doing the fire bombing were caught. What did they say?

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
Gosh, I wonder if there could possibly be any other reason for that besides their gun laws?

Your free to provide data to the country, but per citizen Canada has a lot of guns and way less gun violence.

feel free to post data on why that is.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
You are wrong again, The culture in Canada is much different than the US, the situation there is different.

Canada also has a much smaller population, and if you compare the amount of people killed in school shootings since the 1970's between the US and Canada on a per capita basis its roughly the same.

Gun control has been proven not to work, The people committing those crimes are not using legal/registered guns and will ignore the law.

Finally you should also look at the racial makeup of the criminals and you would be very surprised to see how it looks.

1. Smaller population doesn't matter when the comparison is per capita.

2. Former Gun control laws have been proven not to work, that doesn't mean gun control doesn't work as you can look to other countries that have some strict gun control laws that do work.

3. I think gun violence has a poverty component and racial makeups probably reflect that.

as I have said before I don't know if gun control is a solution, I am confident that any gun control measures put into place now by lawmakers will do little to nothing to resolve the gun violence problem. so on that I am not really for gun control, I own a few guns BTW.

But I think a comprehensive look into gun violence and solutions is in order

Olikan

Platinum Member
Sep 23, 2011
American death per capita with firearms is almost 600% highter then the 2nd place (switzerland)....in the G12 league
http://scienceblogs.com/thepumphandle/2012/07/23/gun-violence-is-a-u-s-public-health-problem/

but somehow not relate to the heavy gun density that american population have...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...homicides-compare-with-the-rest-of-the-world/
z8Jqk9a2nc7fQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Last edited:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
The 4 men got sentences of 2 or 3 years for "arson", they were never charged with more serious offenses.

Arson of a home should be attempted murder. Especially with a person inside.

Frankly, I've the feeling to see those men removed from society. Shame he wasn't a better shot, or would hitting them have been another crime?

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002

Not really. If the guns are "in use" they can be out. "In use" isn't really defined but you could be cleaning them, maintaining them, dry firing, admiring them, whatever really.

But, you can't load a restricted weapons (handguns and a lot of scary looking semi autos) anywhere that they're not legal to discharge... and they're only legal to discharge at a range. I can carry my glock around the house with a loaded in my back pocket legally tho. If you're in a city you likely can't load your rifles/shotguns either (unless some even occurs like this in which the necessity justifies violating the restriction.)

If he shot blindly into a stand of trees where anyone could have been standing (other than the perps), he's an idiot. You never shoot blindly into an area like that.

It's a rural area and I don't think the media has reflected his statements about the warning shots fairly.

He moved to a rural area where there are some serious hillbillies (yes we have them in Canada) and they had a series of run ins that escalated over time. I might speculate that this happens to people with guns because they have the means and the mindset to stand up to hillbilly trash.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Not really. If the guns are "in use" they can be out. "In use" isn't really defined but you could be cleaning them, maintaining them, dry firing, admiring them, whatever really.

But, you can't load a restricted weapons (handguns and a lot of scary looking semi autos) anywhere that they're not legal to discharge... and they're only legal to discharge at a range. I can carry my glock around the house with a loaded in my back pocket legally tho. If you're in a city you likely can't load your rifles/shotguns either (unless some even occurs like this in which the necessity justifies violating the restriction.)

It's a rural area and I don't think the media has reflected his statements about the warning shots fairly.

He moved to a rural area where there are some serious hillbillies (yes we have them in Canada) and they had a series of run ins that escalated over time. I might speculate that this happens to people with guns because they have the means and the mindset to stand up to hillbilly trash.

The guy was a gun instructor, he should know better than anyone, you don't fire a warning shot.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
The guy was a gun instructor, he should know better than anyone, you don't fire a warning shot.
Probably figured he'd get life in prison for giving a good faith effort in defending himself and actually shooting one of them.

At face value, I do have a problem with the "shooting in the woods." The actual scene could put that to rest though. Heck, the guy could be in the middle of 100ac of his own property.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
I feel bad for this guy, he has to spend money on a lawyer and take time off to defend himself. I will have to remember this when people say they want to move to Canada.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Arson of a home should be attempted murder. Especially with a person inside.

Frankly, I've the feeling to see those men removed from society. Shame he wasn't a better shot, or would hitting them have been another crime?

It would have been tough to shoot and kill all 4 of the guys justifiably. My bet is after the 2nd head shot the others would have been running away.