Canada to inact Sharia Law

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
vancouver news

""Canadian judges soon will be enforcing Islamic law, or Sharia, in disputes between Muslims, possibly paving the way to one day administering criminal sentences, such as stoning women caught in adultery.

Muslims are required to submit to Sharia in Muslim societies but are excused in nations where they live as a minority under a non-Muslim government.

Canada, however, is preparing for its 1 million-strong Muslim minority to be under the authority of a Sharia system enforced by the Canadian court system, according to the Canadian Law Times.

Muslim delegates at a conference in Etobicoke, Ont., in October elected a 30-member council to establish the Islamic Institute of Civil Justice.

The institute is classified in Islamic law as a Darul-Qada, or judicial tribunal. Its bylaws are scheduled to be drafted and approved by Dec. 31.

Cases will be decided by a Muslim arbitrator, but the local secular Canadian court will be the enforcer."""

Another site already discussing this in detail here .

This is a very stupid move on Canadas part imo.

And no this is not BS.

rjain

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
Shrug, the Muslims are the ones who chose to have those laws apply to them. If the woman doesn't want to be subject to the abuses of Islamic law, she should say that she doesn't want to be.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
1 million muslims in canada? No wonder they are so anti-war. If everyone and us had open borders and true democracy I don't think there would ever be another war. Well I can dream can't I?

rjain

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
"True democracy" wouldn't make much of a difference in the US. We'd have that many more times a year where an even smaller portion of the country actually gets up and votes about the laws that affect their own lives.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Right on our doorsteps? This is very disturbing. Whoever thought of this needs to be fixed.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: rjain
"True democracy" wouldn't make much of a difference in the US. We'd have that many more times a year where an even smaller portion of the country actually gets up and votes about the laws that affect their own lives.

We'll then if it does'nt have over half the populations vote I guess it's going no where:) USC would probably be 6 or 7 pages by now. would'nt that be great.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Well, This is the logical consequence of multi-culturalism.
Muslims are just excising thier right to be ruled the way thier religion demands, and obviously our secular courts which judge everyone else [jew,christian,hindu] isnt good enough for them. So, I guess the next round of demands that Muslims will make will be when they have a majority in Canada--nationwide Sharia law anyone ? And before you say no way, it is in thier religion that they have to have Sharia courts when they have a majority, and at the rate thier growing now that will be less than twenty years.

If the Canadian Alliance Party had any sense, they would run on opposing this.

rjain

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
Zebo: No, only half the population that chooses to vote has to support the law. All that will happen is that a smaller portion of the populace will be voting for or against the law, and/or propaganda and ignorance will dominate the voting. We'd probably have just as many laws, they'd just be even more of a mess and contradict each other even more. It's bad enough with people dedicated to making laws somehow getting pressured to pass legislation about the legality of sitting on milk crates and keeping uncaged animals underground.

peonyu: Yes, you are right. It is their problem now, but insitiutionalizing this process is a dangerous precedent. If they want to enforce their own morals, it should be within the scope of the secular laws of that jurisdiction and it should be voluntary. In a sense, this is similar to the case where Judge Moore imposingly displayed the Ten Commandments in a courthouse of a nominally secular government.

And no, this isn't the "logical" consequence of multi-culturalism any more than having religious monuments in courthouses is. It's the logical consequence of overzealous, insecure fundamentalists who can't tolerate people with other beliefs.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Would it be safe for me to assume that the Canadian Constitution does not ask for seperation of Church and State?

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Originally posted by: dahunan
Would it be safe for me to assume that the Canadian Constitution does not ask for seperation of Church and State?

No, Canada does ask for that, and thats the main reason why this move is so mind boggling. I think Canada's leaders/decision makers are tripping out on some wierd ultra-PC drugs or something...though Im sure when it gets down to it, right to the core of things-- Canada's leaders are afraid that if they say 'no', that they will be accused of being 'racist or insenstive to muslim culture of something, and then they will lose the re-election..

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: peonyu

No, Canada does ask for that, and thats the main reason why this move is so mind boggling. I think Canada's leaders/decision makers are tripping out on some wierd ultra-PC drugs or something...Im sure when it gets down to it, Canada's leaders are afraid if they say 'no', that they will be accused of being 'racist or insenstive to muslim culture of something, and then they will lose the re-election..

Ahhh....But predominantly WHITE Countries are not allowed to have cultural identities and laws that represent that culture....... ;)

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Originally posted by: peonyu

No, Canada does ask for that, and thats the main reason why this move is so mind boggling. I think Canada's leaders/decision makers are tripping out on some wierd ultra-PC drugs or something...Im sure when it gets down to it, Canada's leaders are afraid if they say 'no', that they will be accused of being 'racist or insenstive to muslim culture of something, and then they will lose the re-election..

Ahhh....But predominantly WHITE Countries are not allowed to have cultural identities and laws that represent that culture....... ;)

True, I wonder how long a group of christians would last in a country like Saudi Arabia if they immigrated there and then demanded thier own laws...1 hour, maybe 2 ? :D

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Your first link no longer points to the article in question.

I don't have a problem with what is being done, this is enforcement of Civil law only, not a go ahead to stone wives, daughters, or other such nonsense. This is simply the enforcement of agreements made between 2 Muslims based upon Sharia Law. Things like business contracts.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Originally posted by: sandorski
Your first link no longer points to the article in question.

Lawtimesnews doesnt archive older stories so im removing it.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: Zebo
1 million muslims in canada? No wonder they are so anti-war. If everyone and us had open borders and true democracy I don't think there would ever be another war. Well I can dream can't I?

6-7 Million Muslims in the U.S ... just counting the ones who list their nationality/religion.