Canada provides a window into eco cons, like the Paris Accords with their Hydro Crisis

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
Doesn't hydro get cheaper over time, there's just one time construction costs & then maintenance plus salaries after that would be cheaper than many (fossil) fuel based plants?

Hydro power does get cheaper over time as maintenance is cheaper than constantly buying fuel at market rates.

Unfortunately there is often the need to scrap hundreds of square miles of prime usable farmland near riverbeds or prime forested areas to make them.

Food, prime greenspace, or electricity?

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
No we want reasonable costs. I'm one of those rural people who live in a "low density" area. My delivery rates are higher than my usage rates most of the warmer months. And we aren't talking low amounts here either. People can use a couple dollars in hydro and pay over $100 in delivery fees for it.

Yeah the delivery charges are insane, it should be split evenly across the province imo...wasn't it the pc's that privitized that part of hydro?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Jan 25, 2011
Yeah the delivery charges are insane, it should be split evenly across the province imo...wasn't it the pc's that privitized that part of hydro?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Everything they have done with Hydro for the last 20 years has been a mistake. The debt retirement charges, the wind energy. My community was the first in the province to hold a vote on whether we wanted them in our community. We voted 86% against having them. Doesn't matter. And the process for approval was worse. The rules required a Native band to sign off. Well we are in South Western Ontario. The native band that signed off on the project was from Northern Ontario.

Now they have stated they are suspending all new projects. Ours is still set to go through even though not a single windmill has been erected yet. It's maddening.

Example of the stupidity of the delivery charges. A cottage had no hydro connected. Hydro could not repair it after a storm knocked the wires down. Still charged the guy $1,100 for delivery costs for hydro that was never delivered. And they are defending the practice basically arguing "we are allowed to".

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/hydro-...ry-charges-to-cottage-without-power-1.3156025

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
What does this kerfuffle have to do with the Paris accords? Other than the implication of conspiracy in the thread title?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Because that would require some actual effort to find a counter-claim. Name calling and trying to be the first in with the coolest insult is much more productive. I'm surprised he wasn't called a racist phobe.

Well, when the OP has a demonstrable post-and-run history, usually involving bullshit claims that his Breitbart/Infowars masters told him to believe, you can understand the skepticism.

And he basically killed any attempt at a legitimate argument by whining about "eco cons" and portraying green power as "virtue signalling." This isn't to say that the hydro people didn't create problems, but the OP's beef seems to be with the very idea of pushing eco-friendly power, as if we should just run back to coal and hasten humanity's extinction.

Reactions: Sheik Yerbouti

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Well, when the OP has a demonstrable post-and-run history, usually involving bullshit claims that his Breitbart/Infowars masters told him to believe, you can understand the skepticism.

And he basically killed any attempt at a legitimate argument by whining about "eco cons" and portraying green power as "virtue signalling." This isn't to say that the hydro people didn't create problems, but the OP's beef seems to be with the very idea of pushing eco-friendly power, as if we should just run back to coal and hasten humanity's extinction.

This sort of thing gets really tiresome. One of the well known crazy people on here will post something from a worthless source and then when you point that out the answer is always 'STOP ATTACKING THE MESSENGER'. It's completely stupid. I've lost track of how many times I've been asked to disprove a source-free editorial from a right wing website.

Almost everyone has known that guy in their life who lies all the time or believes insane conspiracy theories. When they come by and tell you that aliens abducted their grandma do you:
1) Go scour FAA records for unusual UFO activity above their grandmother's house
2) Assume they are full of shit until proven otherwise.

The idea that we should continue to treat proven untrustworthy sources as if they are trustworthy is one of the more insane things people here genuinely seem to believe.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
Because that would require some actual effort to find a counter-claim. Name calling and trying to be the first in with the coolest insult is much more productive. I'm surprised he wasn't called a racist phobe.
It would actually require an insane amount of effort to find a counter claim. That's the problem with this level of bullshit, its so far out there that reputable sources don't go anywhere near them. Here, why don't you try it. My claim is that conservatives eat babies in ritualistic offering to Reagan. Now go ahead and find a source to disprove it.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
It would actually require an insane amount of effort to find a counter claim. That's the problem with this level of bullshit, its so far out there that reputable sources don't go anywhere near them. Here, why don't you try it. My claim is that conservatives eat babies in ritualistic offering to Reagan. Now go ahead and find a source to disprove it.
Yeah, countering the real craziest shit is hard because nobody usually bothers to address the nutiest of the nutty. And those nutballs want things that explicitly address the insane shit they believe, which of course doesn't exist because nobody wants to waste their time on dealing with wackos.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Solar and Wind aren't usually considered as baseload power because of their variability, AFAIK. Pretty odd video (part1) actually. This guy is all over the place. Either he doesn't know what he's talking about or he doesn't know how to write, or both :thumbsdown:

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Hydro power does get cheaper over time as maintenance is cheaper than constantly buying fuel at market rates.

Unfortunately there is often the need to scrap hundreds of square miles of prime usable farmland near riverbeds or prime forested areas to make them.

Food, prime greenspace, or electricity?

Hydro power has to be one of the least greenest and most destructible forms of power there is on this world.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Plot twist: ororoorooo is the creepy mustached internet longhair in his videos just trying to scrape a few tens of views on ATP&N. That's a few fractions of a cent in ad revenue!

Or it's just a propaganda shit and run. Either way, worthy of ignoring.

Your ilk never post anything worth responding to in a serious manner.

Cognitive dissonance is redirected as hostility, because that is all you have.

This sort of thing gets really tiresome. One of the well known crazy people on here will post something from a worthless source and then when you point that out the answer is always 'STOP ATTACKING THE MESSENGER'. It's completely stupid. I've lost track of how many times I've been asked to disprove a source-free editorial from a right wing website.

"sources", ah yes, the Hydro crisis doesn't exist right? Or did Colbert and John Oliver not tell you what to think yet. Must be confusing only able to think on a cable broadcast schedule.
You don't get to laugh at sources anymore, your left wing news sources have burned their credibility to the ground in their desperate rage at the orange man.

"Show me where Putin touched you"

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Everything they have done with Hydro for the last 20 years has been a mistake. The debt retirement charges, the wind energy. My community was the first in the province to hold a vote on whether we wanted them in our community. We voted 86% against having them. Doesn't matter. And the process for approval was worse. The rules required a Native band to sign off. Well we are in South Western Ontario. The native band that signed off on the project was from Northern Ontario.

Now they have stated they are suspending all new projects. Ours is still set to go through even though not a single windmill has been erected yet. It's maddening.

Example of the stupidity of the delivery charges. A cottage had no hydro connected. Hydro could not repair it after a storm knocked the wires down. Still charged the guy $1,100 for delivery costs for hydro that was never delivered. And they are defending the practice basically arguing "we are allowed to".

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/hydro-...ry-charges-to-cottage-without-power-1.3156025
Yup, i'm surrounded by over 200 of those windmills as well...very pretty red lights at night...

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Your ilk never post anything worth responding to in a serious manner.

Cognitive dissonance is redirected as hostility, because that is all you have.

"sources", ah yes, the Hydro crisis doesn't exist right? Or did Colbert and John Oliver not tell you what to think yet. Must be confusing only able to think on a cable broadcast schedule.
You don't get to laugh at sources anymore, your left wing news sources have burned their credibility to the ground in their desperate rage at the orange man.

"Show me where Putin touched you"

You posted the same sort of tripe long before the trump candidacy.