Canada losing their looney?

mithrandir2001

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
:Q Shudder with fright you canucks!

I read a WSJ article that said there was growing desire in the lands up North to ditch the looney all together and share currency with the USA thanks to the looney's inability to ever increase in value relative to other currencies. Some Maple Leafs are horrified that many tony ski resort towns are being bought up by Yanks because the American Dollar is so strong relative to the Canadian currency and the natives cannot win the bidding wars.

But, rest assured, it will never happen because if Canada and the US shared the same currency, it would be new nation-agnostic currency like Euro. Fat chance in hel! that Americans will ever give up their greenbacks.

NaughtyusMaximus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I don't know, I think I'd prefer to use the US Dollar than have *all* of our companies be bought out. I'd imagine sharing the US Dollar would aid quite a bit in cross-border markets as well.

Keego

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2000

<< Fat chance in hel! that Americans will ever give up their greenbacks. >>

Ladies Man

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
actually look at how many places other than the us uses our money....*as official currency*

i think the US govt would LOVE IT if the world was all using us currency

ViperMagic

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2001

<< i think the US govt would LOVE IT if the world was all using us currency >>

No kidding

Thatd be cool. No more exchanging!

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
I don't think many people would mind a SHARED currency, like say $UNAD (united north american dollars), but no way in hell would canucks adopt your crappy greenbacks. They're fugly among other things :p

and of course, all the rednecks would quickly go into high gear about "american interests"

AmRoD

Apr 2, 2001
this would be the 2nd best thing that could happen to canada... the 1st being to join the usa all together

RoninRXN

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2001

<< I don't think many people would mind a SHARED currency, like say $UNAD (united north american dollars), but no way in hell would canucks adopt your crappy greenbacks. They're fugly among other things :p

and of course, all the rednecks would quickly go into high gear about "american interests"
>>

True...true. If we could make Ameribucks as colourful as CDN...

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000
for some things it's great having a low dollar. for example the US can import our good far cheaper than they can produce them there. I think we'll have our dollar for at least another 10 years, maybe more.

HOWITIS

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2001
the dollar is already the most used currency in the world, i would bet that much trading between canada and the us is in the dollar already.

and no where not going to abandin our dollar with washington/jefferson on it. no american would abandon it just so canadians could like it more. fat chance getting the queen on a dollar.

Phuz

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2000
It would harm our economy more than it would help it!

Canada relies heavily on american business. IF the dollar was on par with the US dollar, or, say we had a common currency, Americans would have no need to come over the boarder for cheaper shopping. This would do great harm to our economy, regardless of the fact that our dollar was actually worth.. a dollar.

See, if Canada did have a common currency with the American dollar, we would have little, to no say in what happened to it. Because of this, Canada really REALLY doesn't want to have a common currency with the USA.