Canada has a Nut Problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/11/mom-wants-oak-trees-cut-down-for-kids-with-allergies/

She would be the Nut Problem IMO.

One Canadian mom says she’s going nuts over her children’s food allergies.

Donna Giustizia, a mother of two, says the oak trees near her teenager’s school in Vaughan, Ontario, are a health hazard, and even though the school is nut-free, she says school administrators aren’t protecting their students.

“A false sense of security is putting a sign on the door that says ‘nut-free,’ and there’s nuts all over the place,” Giustizia told The Star.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
My son is allergic to the oil in wood so I requested that the city tear down all of their existing schools and build new ones that don't contain any wood.
/self centered bitch

Also
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/26/surprising-new-allergy-statistics_n_1629080.html
About 12% of children claimed to have adverse reactions to a food, with peanuts, dairy products, wheat, and fish the most common. Only 2.3% actually had a problem, some with merely an “intolerance,” and some with an actual allergy.
So roughly 2.3/12 or 20% of food allergies are real. The other 80% are lying.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Sometimes you feel like a nut and sometimes you are a just a plain old nutjob.

On a side note the school already lost once by making the place nut free instead of making the kid eat in a separate room so i have a feeling they will comply.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
The MDs who have been interviewed on this issue say they've never heard of acorns triggering a reaction. Just your random crazy parent.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Silly Canadians. Why can't they be more logical and less prone to retardation than us Americans ;):p

As for the actual article - At some point enough people will realize that we are going overly PC that these people can easily be dismissed as crazy. Right? Hopefully? Please? I just hope they don't give in and that there won't be a lawsuit over it

Last edited:

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
My child has a sun allergy, I demand that the public school she attends board up all of it's windows, cancel all field trips (makes her feel excluded when she can't go) and provide a special windowless bus to drive her to and from school every day.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
My neighbors kid has a peanut allergy. I think he legitimately has one.

On a side note, all it takes is one "reaction" and you will peg yourself as deathly allergic to it for the rest of your life.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
My neighbors kid has a peanut allergy. I think he legitimately has one.

On a side note, all it takes is one "reaction" and you will peg yourself as deathly allergic to it for the rest of your life.

Acorn =/= Peanut

From the story...

"Dr. Clifford Bassett, medical director of allergy and asthma care at New York University, says he’s not familiar with any reports of children having an allergic reaction by playing with acorns off the ground.
“There’s no relationship between acorns and peanuts,” Bassett said. “If people have food allergies, they need to work with an allergist on prevention, avoidance and preparedness. People with food allergies need to be careful and have a plan.”"

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
So roughly 2.3/12 or 20% of food allergies are real. The other 80% are lying.
I know a woman who won't let her child go to the grocery store, that's how severe her food allergy is. Apparently even sealed peanut butter jars on a shelf off-gas to an extent that her daughter can have a reaction. Never mind the fact that it's literally impossible to be allergic to the smell of peanuts even if her kid's face was shoved a foot away from an open jar. http://foodallergies.about.com/od/nutallergies/f/smellingpeanuts.htm

The huff link above isn't pointing to the correct source. Googling brings up this:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7218276.stm

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
My child has a sun allergy, I demand that the public school she attends board up all of it's windows, cancel all field trips (makes her feel excluded when she can't go) and provide a special windowless bus to drive her to and from school every day.

Just convert to the Muslim and have her wear the full face covering Burka, you know you want to. garbage in, garbage out

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
This is a problem that I think they can bust in no time.... ;)

...by requiring medical testing to get allergy accomodations. Seriously, they do have tests for these kinds of allergies that can be safely done. I know from personal experience in my household.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
...by requiring medical testing to get allergy accomodations. Seriously, they do have tests for these kinds of allergies that can be safely done. I know from personal experience in my household.
Rub peanut butter on the person. If they die, they probably had an allergy ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.