Can you use a fan controller and retain RPM sensing?

wgoldfarb

Aug 26, 2006
I now have 3 tricool fans(2 case fans and one CPU fan), all running at "low". I am about to replace them with 2 Nexus D12SL-12 fans running at about 7V for the case and a Scythe S-Flex SFF21D running at about 9V for the CPU. Upon initial setup I want to "tweak" the voltages to lower speeds as much as possible while still retaining adequate cooling. Once I find this voltage I won't need to change speeds again, so I won't mind leaving the fans on some fixed voltage.

The best solution appears to be the Sunbeam Rheobus. From what I have seen, however, the fans connect to the Rheobus and the Rheobus connects to the PSU -- there is no connection between the Rheobus and the Mobo. So, does this mean that I would lose the ability to monitor RPM speeds? Or is there a way to connect the fans to the Rheobus and retain RPM sensing? I like the fact that the fans would be powered directly off the PSU instead of off the mobo.

Or is there another way to do this at comparable cost?

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
You can take the speed sensor contact out from the connector that hooks to the fan controller and hook it to the mobo fan headers by itself (need a separate 3-pin shell to put the contact into), but I have a CM Aerogate 3 that controls and reports up to four fan speeds itself. Something similar is the way to go, IMO. You can still find some AG-3s out there and there are a few others that report fan speed too, but most are significantly more expensive than the AG-3

.bh.

wgoldfarb

Aug 26, 2006
Zepper,

I will see if I can find the AG-3 or something similar, i guess it's better to avoid any extra wires inside the case.

Thanks!