Can you snap a man's neck like you see in the movies?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
giphy.gif
That is fucking terrifying!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Back problems really suck. Don't they have Doctors in Canada? maybe you got a pinched nerve or some other treatable shit that you can get fix up by some doc?
I had an issue with wearing my night guard, never got used to it, used to wake up with sores on the inside of my mouth. So, in an effort to prevent that one night I made an effort to twist my head so I wouldn't bite my cheek from the inside. Woke up with a much bigger problem, a pinched nerve and lost a lot of upper body strength. Was able to do 8 good chinups before that happened and suddenly could barely do one with a struggle. Tingling down my left arm and hand, spasms on upper left portion of my body. This went on for months, but gradually subsided and I got my strength back. I don't wear that night guard!

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
I just snapped my own neck...didn't fix the problem. Time for euthanasia.

NAC4EV

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2015
this whole neck thing is driving me crazy. I can't sleep on any sides..have to lay flat on my back and that is not how i go to sleep.

See a chiropractor they routinely crack necks.

KeyboardCowboy

Jul 7, 2019
I once went to the chiropractor for a sore neck, it sounded like he snapped my neck with one quick swoop it cracked so many times. With more pressure he probably could have just killed me.
Nope, it's a lot harder to break someone's neck that it looks...

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Can't remember seeing that in the movies. Frankly, I tend to like movies that don't cater to people's thirst for violence. Movies that do are hard to avoid, of course. My mother hated them, in general. But we kids figured her for a Pollyanna. But she had something there, I think.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Man with a watch knows what time it is... man with two watches is never sure. :D
Man with 3 watches is the one to trust. Take the median time and discard the high and low. Unless you have 2 outliers, you will generally get an accurate time :)

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Man with 3 watches is the one to trust. Take the median time and discard the high and low. Unless you have 2 outliers, you will generally get an accurate time :)
Time, I don't worry about. When I want exact time I open an app on my cell phone, figure I can trust that... I use that to set my clocks.

Now, what I do fret about is my thermometers! I have over 10 of various kinds, digital, analog. I can use the median idea, but how do I know that's right? I have it down to maybe 1 degree F, but I can't be sure. I suppose I could buy an expensive thermometer that's guaranteed pretty accurate. I have a few devices that are, I think, about 2 F high. One appears to be 5 F high, hunk of junk. I was just thinking yesterday I should toss it. But... I can't know for sure that it isn't the one that's closest to right... :oops:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Fill a cooler with ice. Drive to the ocean. Park on the beach. Stick all the thermometers in the ice water in the cooler. Stir. Rely on the thermometer which reads closest to 32Freedom (0Commie).

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Time, I don't worry about. When I want exact time I open an app on my cell phone, figure I can trust that... I use that to set my clocks.

Now, what I do fret about is my thermometers! I have over 10 of various kinds, digital, analog. I can use the median idea, but how do I know that's right? I have it down to maybe 1 degree F, but I can't be sure. I suppose I could buy an expensive thermometer that's guaranteed pretty accurate. I have a few devices that are, I think, about 2 F high. One appears to be 5 F high, hunk of junk. I was just thinking yesterday I should toss it. But... I can't know for sure that it isn't the one that's closest to right... :oops:

I got one of these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IHHLB3W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Just stick it in the meat and it reads the temp within a few secs.
145 salmon, 165 for chicken
200ish when smoking a pork shoulder

What does it matter? if it's hot, put the AC cooler/use a fan
If it's too cold, then wear a winter coat or long sleeves shirt?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
What does it matter? if it's hot, put the AC cooler/use a fan
If it's too cold, then wear a winter coat or long sleeves shirt?
Yeah, it doesn't matter... much. But it does help. I like it when it's 62 F in my bedroom when I'm sleeping. I don't insist on it. I very very seldom turn on the one room air conditioner in my bedroom. When I do, it's for no more than an hour on a very hot evening. Fans, I use a lot. Anyway, a good thermometer helps me monitor the situation with respect to how I feel and respond. Many things can impact that including activity, general health, what I'm wearing. A quick look at a thermometer helps me. Knowing if it's accurate certainly helps.

Tormac

Feb 3, 2011
1) Go see a professional massage therapist and get a good massage (not that kind of a massage, I am serious).

B) No, nothing you see in the movies actually works the way you see them in the movies, unless it is an animal documentary with Allister Cooke or Marty Stouffer, you can trust them.

Red) The closest that you can come to snapping people’s necks like that in the real world will be choke holds. Find a Judo or Jujitsu school in your area. They can show you how to do a good choke. Of course before they will teach you these dangerous moves they expect you to learn more basic moves that involve you being thrown to the ground and then have your limbs twisted in ways that will make a grown man cry like a woosie. This process will either fix your back, or kill you, so the journey itself may be useful. I would recommend looking up Gene Lebell’s various youtube videos for examples of what you want.

Good luck Mayne. We are all rooting for you!