Can you sleep while traveling?

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
[edit] I checked the poll, anyway, curious if you can sleep on an airplane/jet?

I've tried, so far I can't when I'm seated. If I was able to lie down, than perhaps.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Yep, no problem. I can also sleep on trains, buses, cars, etc. Used to have a problem, but 3 weeks on a bus across Europe cured that.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
yeah i can sleep anywhere.

I'm short enough that i fit in any seat pretty comfortable.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
i can sleep on buses/trains, so deeply that i dream too.

don't take planes often enough to know. last time i was too nervous/excited to sleep.

Redviffer

Oct 30, 2002
Sure, no problems.

Or, are you asking if we have no anxiety when others are in control of the driving, in essence, control of our lives.

I say you can't do anything about the plane slamming into the ground even if you were awake ( well, I guess if it was a movie you could), and I think I'd rather go while I'm asleep anyway. :)

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002
That's how I pass the time when I travel...the passengers in my car scream whenever I do it though...go figure

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
I can sleep if I can get comfortable in my seat. One time I traveled in a bus down to St Louis overnight, wasn't able to sleep at all because I was too tall for the seats.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
I really can't. I tried but it doesn't work out well. I can close my eyes and kind of do that cat-nap thing, I am awake but settled down like I was sleeping. I have flown to Rome from DFW once (8.5 hours I think), and I tried to sleep, but I just couldn't do it. The entire airline seat things may have had something to do with it.

BTW, if anybody plans on flying at least eight hours, I think it is well worth it to upgrade your seats so you have more room.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I can't sleep unless I'm lying on my back flat. Can't sleep sitting up. And certainly can't sleep when moving.

It really sucks. Especially on 4+ hour plane flights.

thraxes

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2000
I can't sleep on a bus or in a car (unless I am really really tired). On a plane it depends on a few things: Am I in Business Class or in the Monkey Cage down the back? If I am in Monkey class I tend to park my rather tall 2m framehalfway in the aisle... needless to say that the drinks trolly gets painfull after a few "accidents", sleep is not possible at all. In Business I still have difficulty sleeping, if I do fall asleep then it usually isn't a very good sleep, at least here I don't have that drinks trolley smashing into me every hour.

Also on a train I can't really sleep too well, even in a nice cosy bed in a sleeping car.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
I can rarely recline enough on an airplane to be comfortable enough to fall asleep. Even on occasions when I can fall asleep on an airplane, it always seems like some screaming brat won't shut up the entire flight.

Dec 1, 2003
riding in a car for extended periods of time (2+ hours) always puts me to sleep, whether i want to sleep or not. the whirring of the tires makes me drowsy. (i always need to hear a sound like a fan when I'm going to sleep at home, so the tires have that effect on me.) this sleepiness causes problems when i'm the one driving on the long trip :Q, but i never keep driving to the point i am literally falling asleep. i don't ever fly or ride in a train, so i don't know how i'd be, although i think a train would put me to sleep even faster as i'm sure the whirring sounds are magnified.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
I can't sleep on an airplane...at all. When I got to Taiwan, I can be up for 30-40 hours in a stretch...and even though I'm crap tired, I can't fall asleep on that d*mn plane.