Can you reticulate a spline?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Poulsonator

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2002
2007113001.png

Hah, I was coming in here to post that as well. Been using MozyPro for years, and always get a kick out of that screen.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
I can remember at our nerd sleepovers when I was a kid, someone would always wait until almost everyone was asleep and then yell: "RETICULATING SPLINE!" Nerd laughter would ensue until the parental units told us to keep it down. :)

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999

I can't put my finger on it at the moment, but there are some other programs which throw that line in there, too. I've seen it in an install before, while unpacking files, it'll flash "reticulating splines" for no good reason :D

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Have you ever stripped a spline-drive rotary hammer bit?

I have not done it myself but I've heard the noise, then the noise of cursing and saw the bit on the ground with its spline covered in gritty looking grease. The grit is metal particles. I'm told it does not happen often though. Probably a good thing because those bits and drills are expensive!

As for myself and stripping not a day goes by where I don't strip at least once. We're talking about wires now - of course! ;)

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
You never could make much money in sim city 2000. I think the most I made per year is like 500k :(

Or was it per month? Hm..

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Dammit, I don't want to reinstall SimCity2000. SC2k will make me want to play SimCity4 again, and I think I played that game most of the way through, at least in the manner I play it. When I find that a game would be more efficiently run by a script, I figure it's time to move on.

But damn it would be cool to see another nice city of Launch Arcologies.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
OK, so after this thread came up, I went home and fired up an old copy of SC2K for Windows. It has since owned my life. Dishes aren't getting done, laundry is piling up, but damnit, my city is making money.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
OK, so after this thread came up, I went home and fired up an old copy of SC2K for Windows. It has since owned my life. Dishes aren't getting done, laundry is piling up, but damnit, my city is making money.

Yeah, I have not had this game loaded since sometime back in the late 90s. But since my hard drive crashed taking 15 years worth of data with it, and the backup failed too (stupid Norton), I had to rebuild from scratch in October.

I was looking around and I thought, "Hey, it was kind of cool to watch the the Sims build cities, demand a stadium which I usually cant afford at the time, fight fires after plane crashes and then only to find out just a llama was flattened." :)

It had me all over again.