Can you pull your arm out of its socket?

joshw10

Feb 16, 2004
I thought I'd ask...

on my left arm (i'm left handed) I can pull it out of it's "socket" or at least that's what it feels like, by putting my hand on my knee then pulling backwards. i'll then have a small gap between my shoulder and arm and obviously feel it moving forward. i cant do it with my right arm. i've been able to do it ever since i was a little kid playing baseball. so...is this normal for people to be able to do with their dominant arm?

I once pulled a spammer's arm out of the socket and beat him over the head with it.
AnandTech Moderator

Lounatik

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
I can dislocate both of my shoulders. Looks pretty gross when viewed closeup,what with all the tendons pressing up against the skin and all.

Peace

Lounatik

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
If you keep doing that the ligaments and tendons will loosen to the point where it will have to be surgically repaired.

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: aircooled
you should probably stop doing that.

Could not have said it better myself.

SludgeFactory

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2001
You guys that do this are subluxing your shoulder. According to one of the local orthopedic surgeons who repairs a lot of shoulders, "voluntary subluxers" like to do it as a party trick.

Making it a habit will weaken the integrity of the joint, so that one day when you slam into something or something slams into you, you're more likely to find the true meaning of pain and injury. When you eventually do dislocate it for real, you'll know :)