Can you plant 10 million trees in a day?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: Eli
These aren't big trees.

Experienced forestry workers can plant over 1,000 trees per hour.

one every 3.6 seconds? i find that hard to believe.

In a well cleared area with soft ground, if the person was hustling alot, I can see it.

i'm assuming hand tools and that holes haven't been dug yet. i could almost see it if someone had a post hole digger, someone else was putting the trees in the hole, and then maybe another two people for filling in holes and bringing trees from the truck. one person? i can't see it.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Originally posted by: ElFenix
i'm assuming hand tools and that holes haven't been dug yet. i could almost see it if someone had a post hole digger, someone else was putting the trees in the hole, and then maybe another two people for filling in holes and bringing trees from the truck. one person? i can't see it.

Note that my reply was before the state of the tree entered the thread. The forest service here uses 6" tall pine trees with bare roots and they just use one tool to plant them, a pick. Each person has thier pick and a bag of plants. When I said I could see it, it would be as a record breaking attempt style thing, not as anything sustainable throughout a workday or even done on a regular basis.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: hypn0tik
Given the rate at which trees are being cut down and forests are dying, planting trees is awesome.

Orly?!

I also watched a program on NGC that stated trees are growing at a 46% greater rate than we use in the US. Now, I doubt that is true throughout the world, but it's a myth that this country is stripping itself bare of trees like so many tree-huggers want us to believe.

paulxcook

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
So they're planting 10 million 4 ft tall saplings that were previously planted somewhere else, dug up, and brought to the site so that about half of them could die? Is this really that good of an idea?

hypn0tik

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
Originally posted by: CPA
Originally posted by: hypn0tik
Given the rate at which trees are being cut down and forests are dying, planting trees is awesome.

Orly?!

I also watched a program on NGC that stated trees are growing at a 46% greater rate than we use in the US. Now, I doubt that is true throughout the world, but it's a myth that this country is stripping itself bare of trees like so many tree-huggers want us to believe.

That may be true but unfortunately deforestation is a global problem.

It's actually amazing that more trees are growing than being cut down in the US, but in other parts of the world it's not the case.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Dumbasses, they couldv'e made a lot of m...... scrap that.

OK, who wants to help me (and you) make a lot of money? :D

This is a carbon credit deal ready made. We can sell certificates representing a certain number of trees, and therefor carbon credits.

If Al Gore can, why not us?

Fern

Rob9874

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
10,000,000 trees by 600,000 people? That's 16 each. Two an hour for 8 hours. Not hard.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Lonyo
Originally posted by: xSkyDrAx
If you had 10 million people w/ 10 million trees you can do it quite easily.

That would be 10 million trees in an instant.
It doesn't take 1 person 1 day to plant 1 tree :p
Oh sure it could. If it's a government worker, it would take 3 days just to decide which kind of tree to plant.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Rob9874
10,000,000 trees by 600,000 people? That's 16 each. Two an hour for 8 hours. Not hard.

as i said eariler, how in the hell would you go about getting the trees to the people to plant then coordinate with those 600K people of where to plant the trees?

cant be done in one day. sorry.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: paulxcook
So they're planting 10 million 4 ft tall saplings that were previously planted somewhere else, dug up, and brought to the site so that about half of them could die? Is this really that good of an idea?

They would have been grown on a Tree Farm where they'd have been too close to each other to grow to maturity. So it makes a lot of sense to replant them elsewhere .