Can you pay rent using a credit card and earn mile rewards?

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
I've been trying to find out if there is a way that I could pay my rent using my credit card so that I could earn the travel miles. Too bad the credit card checks explicitly state that they do not qualify for mile rewards. Any way around this?

Cruisin1

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Depends where you live. My last apartment which was one of those big places like archstone but called camden took credit card payment. It was great because I setup my credit card with them to automatically pay my bill every month so I never had to worry about being late. I was ranking up the miles on my AMEX there :)

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Cruisin1
Depends where you live. My last apartment which was one of those big places like archstone but called camden took credit card payment. It was great because I setup my credit card with them to automatically pay my bill every month so I never had to worry about being late. I was ranking up the miles on my AMEX there :)

F'in Camden here in Houston only allows you to xfer from a bank account, they have the credit option blocked out. I was pissed, was hoping to rack up points!

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Kelemvor
Or have him setup a Paypal account and pay him with your CC that way...

I thought about that and don't think that would work.

Spook

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 1999
Yeah, i asked my landlord about that, and they charge an extra $20 if i want to put my rent on my CC.... so, that loses all its value for me.

LS21

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
Originally posted by: Spook
Yeah, i asked my landlord about that, and they charge an extra $20 if i want to put my rent on my CC.... so, that loses all its value for me.

isnt that practice illegal?

but yeah.. my university and school housing tacked on 3% service fee.. wouldve been some nice rewards that way

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Cruisin1

man...

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: LS21
Originally posted by: Spook

isnt that practice illegal?

but yeah.. my university and school housing tacked on 3% service fee.. wouldve been some nice rewards that way

It's usually against the TOS of the merchant to tack on a fee. Not against the law though.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
You'll be paying the CC fees through your rent, so you wont really be saving any money. No landlord is just going to eat that fee.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
My old apt. complex took debit cards, but not credit cards.
After 2 months, I told them that I changed my debit card and gave them my Rewards Credit Card number.
It went through every month without a fee on top :)

wiredspider

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2001
If they don't readily accept CCs, then you can't. Any way you work "around" it is going to cost fees, which negate the rewards.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Although most people cannot pay rent with their cc, there are other ways to rack up rewards/points/miles.

Utilities - cable, satellite, water, garbage, electricity, gas, etc.

Car insurance, etc.

LS21

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
my new apartment takes CC with no fees! win! although, they accept V/M/Disc but no amex :(

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Although most people cannot pay rent with their cc, there are other ways to rack up rewards/points/miles.

Car insurance, etc.

Yeah I know. I was using my cc for all of those anyway. I just thought that the rent could be added as a huge chunk to my mileage accruement every month.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: zoiks

Car insurance, etc.

Yeah I know. I was using my cc for all of those anyway. I just thought that the rent could be added as a huge chunk to my mileage accruement every month.

Yeah I know what you mean. Unfortunately I think it's the fees/possible chargebacks which deter most landlords/property management companies from accepting cc's as payment.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

Car insurance, etc.

Yeah I know what you mean. Unfortunately I think it's the fees/possible chargebacks which deter most landlords/property management companies from accepting cc's as payment.

How do you use a CC to pay for utilities etc? I guess I'm a fool, I'm paying them out of my checking account using my bank's online bill pay feature.....

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: PokerGuy

Car insurance, etc.

How do you use a CC to pay for utilities etc? I guess I'm a fool, I'm paying them out of my checking account using my bank's online bill pay feature.....

By going to the utility companies website and selecting pay with credit card (assuming that payment option is available).

Unfortunately my electric company doesn't accept cc payments online, so we pay those via online banking.

I forgot one, cell phones!!!!

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: PokerGuy

Car insurance, etc.

By going to the utility companies website and selecting pay with credit card (assuming that payment option is available).

Unfortunately my electric company doesn't accept cc payments online, so we pay those via online banking.

I forgot one, cell phones!!!!

wow. I guess it was my own fear of - lack of discipline that never even made me think of doing this:Q