Can You Name A TV/Movie Where The Bad Guy Says "See" Repeatedly?

Gizmo j

Nov 9, 2013
I've seen a lot of parodies like In tom and jerry where the bad guy talks like:

give me your wallet see.

or else you'll get hurt see.

But I've never seen someone talk like this outside of a parody.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I wanna say Dick Tracy, cuz its based on the old cartoons and has inspiration from old gangster flicks.
But mostly you want gangster flicks from the 30's and 40's and the truth is I dont remember them. I saw quite a few as a teenager, but almost all of them are forgettable.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I wanna say that sounds like something which happened once in one movie and everybody since has just been parodying it for eternity.
Its like Bugs Bunny eating carrots and saying "whats up doc?".
Bugs Bunny does not eat carrots and say "whats up doc?". Clark Gable did it in one movie and Bugs was spoofing him and ever since people just associate that with Bugs Bunny and dont even get the original reference any more.

Reactions: Pohemi

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
Edward G Robinson

im guessing it was such an archetypal performance it filtered into parody with eventually the 3 stooges turning it into "wise guy eh?" and eventually it became the looney toons "Hollywood Steps Out" 1941

the chain of progression of pop culture memes is getting harder to trace back with the changes to copyrights/public domain and things like the turner collection buying up rights/prints.

bonus points to whoever can find the origin of the "narrator voice contradicting a character voicing out a prediction" trope. i asked this once and people could only reference Arrested Development, but i swear it was a Family Guy where they were doing a riff on the Shawshank Redemption Morgan Freeman(Redd) character narration.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I wanna say that sounds like something which happened once in one movie and everybody since has just been parodying it for eternity.
Its like Bugs Bunny eating carrots and saying "whats up doc?".
Bugs Bunny does not eat carrots and say "whats up doc?". Clark Gable did it in one movie and Bugs was spoofing him and ever since people just associate that with Bugs Bunny and dont even get the original reference any more.
Do you mean that before that, Bugs Bunny didn't do it?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
No like I think before Bugs was even a thing that movie came out. And it was popular at the time, and then Warner invented Bugs and he did it as a spoof or homage of the film character.
Bu then some of us forgot the original Bugs who was kinda stupid and had the dingus voice.

Reactions: dank69